what's my chance?

<p>hey, I'm a senior in ca. </p>

<p>ACT: 31 or 2100 sat</p>

<p>AP's: Span- 5 Eng- 4 US History- 3</p>

<p>GPA:Wisco:3.3
ugh...</p>

<p>ECs listed on app: football, track, was in 2 clubs, and work</p>

<p>Job/Work Experience: did finances that were really receipts at a family friend's company and also had a job there too</p>

<p>Essays (subject and responses): already started so they should be very good- on two hardships that have come down on me the last 2 years, and my dealing w/ them. </p>

<p>Teacher Recs: better than great</p>

<p>Counselor Rec: great</p>

<p>School Type: Private, does not rank </p>

<p>Ethnicity: Hispanic</p>

<p>Gender:M</p>

<p>Also: Took 3 summer courses at a local comm. college; got A's</p>

<p>thank you very much</p>

<p>Look at the freshman expectations of the admissions site for a table of gpa and test scores- your low gpa gives you a 50% chance. Being Hispanic may help, but you have to improve your grades to show you can be successful doing the work at UW. Your subjective data looks ordinary.</p>

<p>I think the minority angle will carry the day. I've seen minority candidates with far lower numbers get in.</p>

<p>anyone else have a thought/reply</p>

<p>i wish i was a minority!</p>

<p>i'd say it's pretty likely you get in. your gpa isn't terrible, good standardized tests, minority, and out-of-state (west coast).</p>

<p>Your chance is zero if you don't apply, do apply as soon as you can in September and see what happens. Do as well as you can senior year to show them you can do the work in case you are postponed.</p>

<p>you have a better chance than me, and i applied 2 days before rolling admissions ended and i got in.</p>

<p>so should i consider this a match?</p>

<p>I think it is ok to consider it a match-I had a 31 with good ECs and a little bit better gpa, but really mediocre essays. I got in pretty quickly and I applied late-in December. I think your status as a minority will tip it in your favor.</p>

<p>i'll bump for before.</p>

<p>i'll bump again for safety or match</p>

<p>It doesn't matter what anyone on this board says- no school is a guaranteed in, the stats are 50%, being a minority may help, but you still need another safety. If you do get admitted are you prepared to do the work to succeed? A B average doesn't mean you have the necessary study skills to keep up with the UW course work. Have a backup plan.</p>

<p>You have a pretty good shot at UW-Madison. Try really hard next yr. to get your GPA up and show that you are serious. I'd consider UW to be a match for you. Good Luck.</p>