What's so special about UM?

<p>I'm trying to decide between UM and a couple of other universities....can anyone tell me what makes UM an awesome place to go to college?</p>

<p>Welll....the weather, of course, and the beautiful campus. The fact that it is a very up and coming college with higher standards every year. It offers some great majors depending on your interests. The Music school has a great reputation as well as others. It's a fun place to be with beaches, shopping, restaurants, bars and clubs nearby. There is a lot going on at the campus too....they recently had Clinton and Gore speak. The school is one of the most diverse with kids from all over the country and the world.</p>

<p>That's all I can think of right now...I'm sure others will chime in.</p>

<p>Yea its overall ranking, academically speaking is quite good. Its ranked number 54 in the U.S. It ranks comparably with University of Maryland, George Washington University, Ohio State University and University of Florida (ranked number 50). Its gonna keep getting better as the years pass by since its getting more and more competetive every year and more and more endowment and research funds are accrued by UM. this year it reached above a billion dollars in endowment funds, I believe its the only school in Florida to reach that level.</p>

<p>Lily moon, im from Florida and i plan to go visit the campus personally in a few weeks. When u say its beatiful, in what way? is the architecture any nice or its just huge blocks of cement looking buildings? I know Northeneers often Say Miami's campus is gorgeous but somehow i get the feeling what really is gorgeous to them is the weather and Miami but not so sure about the campus. I might be wrong as i have not been inside it. But enlighten me on that plz.</p>

<p>There's also the Heat, Dolphins, Panthers, Marlins as well as cultural events such as ballet, opera, theatre and concerts. Students have access to discount tickets for cultural events.</p>

<p>acarta07 - the campus does not have the look of an old world Ivy League university but it is beautiful in that it has beautiful grounds with palm trees and flowers and a large lake at it's center with a fountain. The buildings are less interesting and some of them may be described as cement looking, but they are considered modern in design. The school of architecture has a new building designed by Leon Krier that cost $6 million. It is quite spectacular with columns and arches. So, the campus may or may not be your style since you are used to living in Florida, but for us NYer's it is like going to school at a resort location.</p>

<p>Let me know what you think after your visit.</p>

<p>LOL ok will do... :D
Either way ive decided I will be attending cuz the idea of going up north to the Big Ten's and freeze during the winter time gives me colf feet.</p>