What's TAMU like during the summer?

Hi, I’m an undergraduate at Haverford College in PA and I will be doing research this summer at TAMU. I’m wondering what the culture is like and what kinds of things I can expect to be doing for fun. Can someone who’s been at TAMU during the summer tell me what their experience was like? Is campus nearly empty? Will there be people for pickup games of frisbee or soccer or something? Will there be parties? Will football and and the corps be big parts of the culture like they are during the year?

@Broses: Wow! That is great to hear that you will be in CStat conducting research at TAMU during the Summer. What a wonderful opportunity!

I don’t live in CStat, but have a daughter who graduated in 2016 and a daughter who is currently a Sophomore. Both of them mentioned that everything is pretty quiet during the Summer and between regular semesters, compared to football weekends in the Fall. (Back in my day at a big OOS Uni in a Capitol city, we joked that they rolled up the sidewalks during the Summer when both school and the State government were not in session!)

BUT, there will still be people around. Aggies are the friendliest people and all of CStat is full of kind, helpful people. First off, see if you can connect with others in your lab or the buildings where you work or live. The Memorial Student Center may have info on social events. I have seen frisbee games on campus whenever we have visited. I don’t know what the football team or corps activities will be, but perhaps there will be some practices where the public is invited, you will have to check when you get to campus. Perhaps the baseball team or other activities will be playing, just not sure.

There is a place called “Taylor’s Place” in College Station where you can go just to have a home cooked meal and hang out. This place was started by a family after their son, an Aggie, was tragically killed in a car accident before he finished at TAMU. There are a LOT of people who will help you. I am sure that a lot of the people who post on CC will have a lot of suggestions.

I hope that you enjoy your time in CStat.:slight_smile: It will be HOT AND MUGGY and Mosquito-y!! Pack accordingly! Make sure that you drink enough water everyday and wear sunscreen! (Sorry, I’m a Mom, we just can’t help "Mom-ing everyone! LOL)

@Broses it’ll be HOT, and humid. Get ready!
Austin, Houston and Waco are close, so lots of things to do there on weekends. TAMU campus should be laid back, which is kinda nice, but might be boring.
I don’t think football, band or Corps will be around in the summer, until August. Where are you living? You’ll want a swimming pool.
Several state parks not far, also, if you like camping

I’ll be staying in Davis-Gary, which does not appear to have a pool on google maps. I’ll need a friend with a car if I want to go into Houston. Football and military culture has never been a part of my life so I won’t miss it, I was just curious. I’ll also have to make friends in a dorm with a swimming pool.

@Broses ahhh! You’re living on campus?! No dorms have pools, but there is one at the Rec Center (assume it is open during the summer?). Make friends with someone who lives off campus-they’ll have a pool. At least all dorms have a/c (they didn’t when my husband was at A&M). Bring lots of shorts to wear, and a bicycle would be handy, too, if you won’t have a car.

@Broses:

If you have the opportunity to travel while you are in TX, try to go to Austin, Waco or the Houston area, there are a lot of great museums, including Art, History, Science, including Space Center Houston and lots of small galleries. Space Center Houston will probably be a 3+ hour trip from CStat as it is on the opposite side of Houston. But a wonderful and unique place to visit while you are in TX if at all possible. There is a Six Flags over TX in Arlington, which is beyond Waco in that direction. And there is a Sea World in San Antonio. Not sure if any of these places have student price tickets. There are a lot of TX State parks around that are not costly if you like hiking or birding, etc.

Do you belong to any clubs (service clubs, Major relate, Greek, etc) in your home Uni? Check to see if there are affiliates at TAMU, that will give you some instant friends.

I hope that you have a wonderful time in CStat. :slight_smile:

It gets pretty quiet in the summer months, but honestly that means more open spots at study cafes and such, as during the school year the college kids are all over the bcs area! Regarding weather, yes it will be very humid and somewhat frequently rainy.