What's the atmosphere like at UM?

<p>Well I love UCSB, bc it is really laid-back, fun, social, and beach like all the time. But it is lacking majors i'm really interested in, connections, and big time sports.</p>

<p>I'm thinking UM might have what UCSB is missing. But does UM have the same amazing atmosphere as UCSB.</p>

<p>Is it really chill and laid-back? Is it usually social and fun? Does it have a great beach like atmosphere? Does the campus feel like your at a college, or is it like a group of buildings mixed in with a city?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I think you will find UM very fun, social and beach like. However, it isn't an easy school. Read my reasons to like UM in the thread "Is UM a good school" fouind in this forum.</p>

<p>Be aware though, UM does not sit on the beach. Lake Oseola is in the middle of campus and you cannot swim in it. Last year they pulled two American Crocs out of the water. (And yes...the students didn't like it that they pulled em.) When it comes to actually "beach" going, most go to Key Biscayne, South Beach or head south to the Keys. Son and his friends like to scuba dive down around Key Largo. </p>

<p>One of the key factors that son (and myself too) like about UM, is that has a very nice campus feel to be in the middle of the city. While Coral Gables is a more residential upscale area than say downtown Miami and its highrises, UM is a fully enclosed campus for the most part. Roads run on the outside of campus, so there are alot of green common grounds, walk-ways, and of course, palm trees. Very resort-like. The buildings are very Floridian. Lots of glass, art deco coloring, and breezeways. And lots of activities are outside. I encourage you to visit if you can, but if not, the website does have a pretty decent on-line tour..... Good luck!</p>

<p>Okay thanks. The campus sounds amazing, and even though it isn't right on the beach, it is still pretty close.</p>

<p>I only plan on visiting UM if I get accepted. However, I still am applying EA, and hopefully everything will work out.</p>

<p>Thanks...</p>

<p>There is a shuttle bus straight to the beach on weekends. See <a href="http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,14187-1;41849-3,00.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,14187-1;41849-3,00.html&lt;/a> This is a very nice beach, by the way.</p>