What's the average GPA for engineering at UMich?

<p>
[quote]
So even though you're guaranteed a good grade, you still had to do enough work to demonstrate that you belonged in the class.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I agree with that. I'm not trying to say that anyone with literally no knowledge will go through and get the B+ or the A- again and again. I'm just trying to make a distinction between honors math, where if you work at least decently hard, you're guaranteed a B+, and engineering, where you can work quite hard and still come out with a C.</p>

<p>Is there any update on this topic? I am interested in knowing the average GPA of the CoE graduates from UMich. Thanks.</p>

<p>obviously no one has the hard stat here. Why not just FOIA it yourself. They are required to give you the information.</p>

<p>better yet, if you are a student and don’t know how to FOIA, just go to the student legal service that comes with your tuition and tell them to draft one for you.</p>

<p>

No.</p>

<p>Engineers most certainly have better job prospects, just because of the industries they enter, but to say that the engineering school is filled with “far superior” students is quite simply off base. </p>

<p>LSA is filled with incredibly talented students, exact same as engineering. I actually made a post on this very subject about a week ago, but the admission standards for LSA and Engineering are much much closer than common rumors would suggest. According to official reports, the average accepted LSA student has a 3.9 UW HS GPA and a 31 ACT, which really isn’t any different than U-M Engineering’s 3.9UW GPA and 32 ACT. </p>

<p>

So you are saying that in your experience in a LSA class (and a STEM one at that) that there were a couple of LSA students who did poorly, so you make a generalization about the entire college of 16,000 undergrads? Really? If I didn’t know any better, I very well may have started questioning your own grasp on math if you really think that statistics work that way. I’m also in the CoE and I’ve had the opposite experience in some of my classes. What you say is just not true.</p>

<p>

Sorry, with all this nonsense I almost forgot to answer the actual question.
The average exiting college GPA of a Michigan engineer is very close to a 3.0. It actually increases for most students as they continue throughout their degree. I believe that the average freshman GPA is actually just a 2.7, most likely because of the transition from high school to college level course work and the necessity of much better time management skills.</p>

<p>KronOmega,
you’re arguing with someone back in 2008, the enrolled student bodies will be a lot different now than 5 years ago</p>

<p>but I wouldn’t even be surprised if the entering class 2013 LSA is better than the 2008 COE entering class.</p>

<p>Since the 2013 engineering admission data is not available, here is the comparison between LSA and CoE for 2012 admission:</p>

<p>LSA: average admission GPA: 3.83; ACT mid 50: 29-33
CoE: average admission GPA: 3.9; ACT mid 50: 31-34</p>

<p>For enrolled freshman students:
LSA: median GPA: 3.9; ACT median: 30; SAT CR+M median: 1340
CoE: median GPA: 3.9; ACT median: 32; SAT CR+M median: 1410</p>