What's the catch with the U of Alabama scholarship?

Thanks @aeromom for the clarification above. If an OOS student where dependent on the scholarship funds to afford the cost of education at KU, then they potentially could be taking on a real financial risk if they were unable to maintain a 3.4 GPA with that course load requirement. Bama’s 3.0 GPA requirement is quite generous in comparison.

The catch is that it’s less about wanting to give to high achieving students and more about trying to climb the rankings and appear as more prestigious when the quality of the education is the same whether they are ranked at #88 or #28.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with UA bringing in more and more high achieving students and thus each year, consistently raising the average entering freshman ACT/SAT scores! And there’s certainly nothing wrong with helping students get through their undergrad years with low debt! (and probably no debt for many of them, depending on their family $$ situation) Very happy that my son is going to this great school and thrilled that he will have low debt … something he could not have done at other flagships he was considering.

I think if UA were located in other states, it would have higher rank. I m pretty sure(althught it would be called U of something else, then)

College counselors at my school encouraged us to apply to UA. I know a few highly qualified students (from my class and who graduated from HS over the past couple of years) who have chosen to attend UA on a generous scholarship and are very happy with their decision. No catch.

Ucbalumnus:

"Isn’t the effective admission threshold for an Alabama resident student from a poor family 3.5 GPA and 30 ACT (needed to get the in-state full tuition scholarship), because the school is otherwise too expensive for such a student to afford? (Those close enough to commute may be able to make do with one of the lesser scholarships at 27, 28, or 29 ACT.)

I was referring to in state students who are on the low end of the ACT/SAT range. In state students reportedly have an easier time getting admitted.

“Are there significant numbers of white Democrats or non-white Republicans in Alabama?”

I wouldn’t say a huge number, but a significant number, yes. Here is an article that sheds a little light on White Democrats trying with futility to participate in their own state Democratic Party. Seems racism goes both ways. http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/07/want_to_see_racism_at_work_mee.html#incart_most-read_opinion_article

Atlanta68 wrote:
UA has one of the highest enrollments of Black students of any state flagship in the nation.

“With a high black population in the state, that should be expected…” So what is your point? Actually, if you compare the enrollment of Blacks at UA with the enrollment of Blacks at other large state schools like UGA, Auburn, UF, FSU, etc., the percentage of Blacks enrolled at UA is pretty impressive. Of course, the percentage is even MORE impressive than at schools such as UCLA, Harvard, GA Tech, UC Berkely. But I wouldn’t expect people to notice that, what with the South being so “unprogressive” and all. SARCASM

@Atlanta68 I don’t really feel as though black people going to a school = progressive school or progressive politics. I mean just last spring there was the whole scandal with student senators blocking a bill that would integrate Greek life at UA. Another thing is that politics, in Alabama and elsewhere in the USA, are overwhelmingly controlled by old white rich men. Of course “racism goes both ways” in that there are people of all races with prejudices, but whining about a few prejudiced black politicians serves what purpose exactly? Who still wields the vast majority of the power in the government of Alabama? (hint: white people). With reference to that article you linked: the first couple comments should speak for themselves (the first guy said that back people have destroyed everything political and that their history reflects their failure. he also sported a confederate flag in his profile photo). That article appeals to racist old crusty white people. Another comment spoke about “gays, blacks, feminists and unions” with a tone that you just know this guy can’t stand “gays, blacks, feminists and unions”. I’m not so sure that you want to align yourself with that sort of a viewpoint if you want to have much credibility.

Otherwise, thank you to all for the information about Alabama and the scholarship!!!

In response to post # 46 @cassieann98 if you are considering schools and are basing your thoughts on the media presentations w/o visiting campus…

I don’t think old white rich men voted in Obama! (discounting your comment)

“Who still wields the vast majority of the power in the gov’t of AL? (hint: white people).” So are you basing your college decision by going to a state where you are going to avoid a particular race who you believe holds the power in the gov’t of that particular state?

Please read through my earlier post on this thread. I have lived in AL since the 1980’s.

Some students are attracted to a particular type of school - and that is totally fine. A school like UA is a successful University, but it is not a match for everyone, because of what a student is looking for at a school; something they may find somewhere else.

@Cassieann98 wrote

I guess that your displeasure with white people wielding political power will rule out 46/50 states with white governors:

States ranked by population, with race of governor
1  California __ 38,802,500 __ white guy
2  Texas __ 26,956,958 __ white guy
3  Florida __ 19,893,297 __ white guy
4  New York __ 19,746,227 __ white guy
5  Illinois __ 12,880,580 __ white guy
6  Pennsylvania __ 12,787,209 __ white guy
7  Ohio __ 11,594,163 __ white guy
8  Georgia __ 10,097,343 __ white guy
9  North Carolina __ 9,943,964 __ white guy
10  Michigan __ 9,909,877 __ white guy
11  New Jersey __ 8,938,175 __ white guy
12  Virginia __ 8,326,289 __ white guy
13  Washington __ 7,061,530 __ white guy
14  Massachusetts __ 6,745,408 __ white guy
15  Arizona __ 6,731,484 __ white guy
16  Indiana __ 6,596,855 __ white guy
17  Tennessee __ 6,549,352 __ white guy
18  Missouri __ 6,063,589 __ white guy
19  Maryland __ 5,976,407 __ white guy
20  Wisconsin __ 5,757,564 __ white guy
21  Minnesota __ 5,457,173 __ white guy
22  Colorado __ 5,355,866 __ white guy
23  Alabama __ 4,849,377 __ white guy
24  South Carolina __ 4,832,482 __ indian woman
25  Louisiana __ 4,649,676 __ indian guy
26  Kentucky __ 4,413,457 __ white guy
27  Oregon __ 3,970,239 __ white woman

28  Oklahoma __ 3,878,051 __ white guy
29  Connecticut __ 3,596,677 __ white guy
30  Iowa __ 3,107,126 __ white guy
31  Mississippi __ 2,994,079 __ white guy
32  Arkansas __ 2,966,369 __ white guy
33  Utah __ 2,942,902 __ white guy
34  Kansas __ 2,904,021 __ white guy
35  Nevada __ 2,839,098 __ white guy
36  New Mexico __ 2,085,572 __ hispanic woman
37  Nebraska __ 1,881,503 __ white guy
38  West Virginia __ 1,850,326 __ white guy
39  Idaho __ 1,634,464 __ white guy
40  Hawaii __ 1,419,561 __ asian guy
41  Maine __ 1,330,089 __ white guy
42  New Hampshire __ 1,326,813 __ white woman

43  Rhode Island __ 1,055,173 __ white woman

44  Montana __ 1,023,579 __ white guy
45  Delaware __ 935,614 __ white guy
46  South Dakota __ 853,175 __ white guy
47   North Dakota __ 739,482 __ white guy
48  Alaska __ 736,732 __ white guy
49  Vermont __ 626,562 __ white guy
50  Wyoming __ 584,153 __ white guy

Did you start this thread to get information about Bama’s generous scholarship? Or do you just have an ax to grind?

EXECUTE RANT:
I honestly get tired of coming here to read posts regarding scholarships and opportunities for students (like my son) interested in The University of Alabama, only to find comments about race, political alignments, my state’s horrific history regarding those things, etc.
I do appreciate that we all have freedom of speech and expression (I swore an oath to help defend those rights), and am exercising my freedom to state that I get weary of various dialog from all sides about anything other than about the subject of the post, or in this case “What’s the catch with the U of Alabama scholarship?”.
END RANT

Cassieann98, The tabling of the SGA resolution to recommend integration, had absolutely no bearing on the ability of Frats and Sororities to CONTINUE integrating. Most of the sororities had already integrated in the leadup to that vote. The tabling of that vote was a stupid PR move, but it was done more out of spite, and resentment, given that the Greek system had ALREADY integrated to a level that surpasses what you will find at most other state flagship schools.

And as for the comments following the Al.com article, those are public comments and do not reflect either my or the author of the piece’s own views. You can also find those kind of comments from sites geared to other states’ readers. Its not an Alabama thing. I would think you would know that already, but your attempt to tie my homestate and me to mean spirited or insensitive statements from some of the commenters is not acceptable to me. Al.com is not known to be a site in which only old white men visit. In fact, al.com has posted many articles casting the Confederate flag in a negative light. It is NOT a conservative site by any means. By the way, do you have a problem with old white men or something?

Echoing Post #49…and I think OP may have gotten the ‘catch’ he/she was originally looking for, which is (apparently) the near-constant need to justify or defend one’s choice/location of school, in this case, UA/AL. The vast majority of qualified OOS students and families who attend there are very happy with their decision and love the school; they are getting a great education and paying very little for it. 'nuf sed.

Thank you @aeromom and to all the other posters who helped! To those who seem more focused on talking about politics…I have nothing against white people in general, just the racist ones. If you’re not one of the racist ones I see no reason for you to be getting angry. :slight_smile:

Also, I should add that @atlanta68 replied to my post three times, once in this forum and twice via private messages (guess which messages were less civil!) and he demanded I apologize for linking him to the comments in the article. Just for the record, I’m not ‘linking’ him to anything. I simply said you’re using an article that a lot of blatantly racist people agree with and enjoyed. Which is true, and makes ya look bad. Enough said.

Like someone else said, let’s try to steer this back in the direction of talking about the UA scholarship. I now know more than enough about the scholarship, but perhaps someone else can add useful commentary for other students who may want more information. Thanks!

Cassieann98, why go with your first instinct about the scholarship program rather than read all about the scholarship programs available at UA posted clearly in black and white on their website (not to mention all of the very clear, fact-based information you find here at CC)? I understand utilizing one’s gut instinct (or intuition) when walking up to an ATM at night or putting oneself in other potentially precarious situations, but using your gut instinct to discern the truth about very objective scholarship options?

Thankfully, that over-reliance on baseless gut instinct can be cured by an excellent college education, and UA offers such a college education. For those students who are blessed to be able to attend tuition-free as a reward for their hard work and achievement while in high school, then all the better. And what could be better than to be able to pursue an excellent college education, that is intended to free one’s mind of ignorance, for free or nearly free? Doesn’t sound like there’s any catch to me. My son would agree (as would my bank account.) But hey, if you find the scholarship programs suspicious in some way, move on to another school. Simple as that.

@chesterton I didn’t “go with my first instinct”. I indicated what my first instinct WAS, and asked for clarification. I did plenty of research BEFORE coming to this thread, but I figured I would get a second opinion because it sounded too good to be true. “Thankfully, that over-reliance on baseless gut instinct can be cured by an excellent college education”…What? Over-reliance indicates that I in some way actually relied on my gut instinct. “If you find the scholarship programs suspicious in some way, move on to another school.” I’m sorry, what…? The whole purpose of my starting this thread was to see if there was anything to actually be suspicious of.

If the information “posted clearly in black and white” on most college websites was enough to inform everybody about the ins and outs of college and its admissions process, why would a website like this even exist?

When I asked what the “catch” was, I wasn’t just asking if there are any hidden fees or stringent terms of keeping the money (which is also a valid question). I was also asking myself and the people on this thread why a school would even need to do something like that? What’s wrong with the school that it has to pay high achievers to come to it? But thankfully, I got my answers. I don’t understand why me asking a simple question about a scholarship I’m interested in had to incite so much nastiness.

Seems like you’re the one who relied on ‘baseless gut instinct’ when trying to analyze my thought process as I posted in this thread.

FWIW - a few years ago when I found out about the scholarship, I was very skeptical. It was by far the best guaranteed scholarship I’d seen anywhere. I’d heard that some other schools are generous with their merit aid, but that would take an investment in sending out applications and a gamble on how much would actually be awarded, but at Bama it was all spelled out in black and white and even though it was spelled out in black and white, I’d always learned that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, so I was still skeptical.

When my son applied, I was confident that he’d actually receive the award, but still had lingering doubts that for some reason it would fall through, it wasn’t until we actually had the official scholarship notification letter in our hands in the spring of his senior year, that I was able to fully believe it.

The ‘catches’ as others have said are that you have to maintain a 3.0GPA and it’s not a full ride, it’s a full tuition scholarship, so you still pay for course fees, books, housing, and food. But even with those expenses our annual bills are half of what attending our in-state flagship would have been.

So, far my son has been enrolled for 6 semesters and EVERY time the tuition bills were sent out, we got money back from the school (that is helped with his stipend from the engineering school and was also helped by some additional outside scholarships his freshman year).

As far as the education is concerned, it is a solid education from a state flagship school. It has enabled him to get an internship in his field on his own in another state and has also enabled him to get a co-op position through the school, so he will graduate with more than a year of professional experience on his resume.

We’re definitely getting more value from the school than we are paying for.

Bravo, jrcsmom! You posted before I had a chance to hit submit with this:

I charge (not in the monetary sense) every single one of you families who is getting ‘free’ money from UA to GIVE BACK to the process, to the university, and to the community and stick to civility (at the very least), and more importantly continue to be helpful with paying to forward to those students and families who have yet to make their own opinions (and later, decisions) about UA, by giving honest, on-topic, constructive feedback.

Cassieann98 - Some posters on College Confidential do tend to get a bit “carried away”,as you have seen. If the rest of us can help you, please let us know! :slight_smile:

Cassieann98, I was civil in my private messages. Stop misleading people. And you did try to insinuate that all or most people who read al.com are racists. which is absurd. I am not here to promote al.com, but it is most definitely not a site for “crusty Whites.” I am not the one who steered this conversation onto race. But when people stereotype Alabama, I will respond. To all the others here who think I went too far, Cassieann98 was spreading disinformation, even if unknowingly, about the SGA controversy. Maybe she read about it from a biased source?

Yeah you weren’t a total jerk or anything but you were definitely less kind in the private messages and I recall something about me “being the one with the problem”. Civil is a subjective term. I’m not sure why you even felt the need to privately message me. I’m totally comfortable with discussing my opinions on racism, conservatism, etc. on this forum, even though arguing is getting old. :slight_smile:

I didn’t say anything about al.com. To be honest I wasn’t even aware what website the article was on. All I was saying was that the people who commented on that article were overwhelmingly racist, which is true, and didn’t exactly help your case. I’m sure Alabama does not fit ALL of the stereotypes people try to associate with it, and that for many it is a wonderful place to live. Have a great day.