What's the food dish that traumatized you as a kid?

Ditto here! Glad my husband is on board with licorice. Don’t even want to watch that movie… Licorice Pizza.. Ugh. That sounds gross! :laughing:

So many of these posts are reminding me of other things I couldn’t stand as a kid and still won’t eat: eggplant, blue cheese, beets, brussel sprouts, cooked cabbage, cauliflower, licorice, rhubarb, mayonnaise, yogurt, bagels, marshmallows, baked beans, pork and beans, refried beans, lima beans, any canned vegetables (unless they are hidden in a dish with a lot of other things), meatloaf, sardines, almost anything pickled and, as posted above, anything with hard-boiled egg in it.

My oldest daughter hated mayonnaise and bread as well as ham, cheese, or any type of cold meats. Figuring out what to give her for lunch was a challenge. Usually, she took a thermos with soup along with fruit.

Definitely Brussels sprouts. They just looked like little cabbages and cabbages have no taste. Adding melted butter to them turned my stomach even more. Yuk!

1 Like

I have this weird thing about ketchup and mayo. I cannot stand when either of the condiments get on my hands. For whatever reason, it grosses me out. I never ever ate mayo as a kid, WTE of in tuna. I now tolerate it if mixed in with certain other ingredients, but it still skeeves me to get it on my hands. Now ketchup…I like ketchup on my burger, and sometimes with my fries, but do not like getting it on my hands! And the other weird thing about ketchup is the smell. It does not bother me while eating on something, but once I’m done, if there is ketchup on my plate and it sits there too long, the smell of it bothers me. Same like if there is a plate in the dishwasher that has remnants of ketchup, them I open the DW and the smell! Yuck! I can’t figure out why - its ingredients on their own don’t bother me.

Am I the only weirdo like this?

1 Like

S doesn’t like ketchup or potato in nearly all forms (including fries, chips, chowders, baked). He never has. He says potatoes are unhealthy (I suppose when they’re fried they are but I never told him this—he decided this as a toddler.) Now in his mid-30s, he’s still not fond of potatoes in any form.

D has a mild aversion to tinned meats, especially sardines in different sauces (tomato, mustard) or other tinned meats. She does like spam though—go figure. She recalls us eating this when we traveled and ate in the rental car (no fridge, and no budget for overpriced food at concessions).

1 Like

My H’s mom creams almost every vegetable. He said at a friend’s house as a kid he had broccoli and was amazed at how green it was and crisp. He just assumed it was always cooked until it was mushy and pale.

1 Like

Rhubarb! The most disgusting vegetable. That slime it leaves on your teeth. The horrible taste. Can’t stand it as a vegetable or when it ruins a good strawberry pie.

2 Likes

I can definitively say I’ve never had Rhubarb. And probably happier for it.
Kids liked broccoli as kids but only raw. Same with carrots, cauliflower. Beans raw (or lightly steamed) were okay. Pretty much “yucky vegetables” were eaten
as appetizers and afternoon snacks.
Having grown up hating veggies and suffering the “eat your veggies” routine I never pushed veggies on my kids. But now I realize my mom really didn’t know the 8000 ways to cook veggies or how to make them actually taste good. Back then there were no MWs, no easy access to fresh vegtables (everything was canned), no million recipes off the internet.
My grandmother picked her veggies off a vine in her backyard–my mom could never have matched that even if she wanted to.

1 Like

For me it was anything burnt – grilled cheese sandwich, toast, roasted marshmallows, grilled chicken or steak, etc. Anything that was overcooked to the point where it developed that black crust on the outside would make me dry heave. When I was in college the father of a friend of mine served a bunch of us severely burnt grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. I took tiny bites, swallowed them whole, and still almost threw up a few times. Fortunately my wife is a great cook and knows my distaste for burnt food so I haven’t had to experience it for a long time.

I grew up with down home southern cooking. I was always ashamed of our “poor” food, certain that none of my friends ate like we did. My mom grew up poor and on a farm and you were lucky to survive during the Depression. Pinto beans and cornbread, baby limas and corn, fried okra just to name a few that probably gross most of you out. Extensive gardening with canning and freezing for winter. All that.
But I also don’t like some of the usual suspects like liver.

1 Like

I asked my kids (3) their responses . They didn’t have too many! That’s because I catered to them and made them alternative items when the main thing was something they didn’t like - bad me!

DIL say meatloaf.
D1 said peas.
D2 said cooked carrots at the babysitter!
S couldn’t come up with anything
I added in pork chops because none of them would eat any meat they really had to chew for years!

BTW, all of them enjoy and eat all types of food now and also enjoy cooking! Guess it all worked out! :smiley:

1 Like

@zeebamoman eggplant thing that we all had to find a way to discard w/o her knowing.”

Reminds me of the Seinfeld Mutton episode.

My mother made liver and onions once a week because she read that American children were actually malnourished and needed iron. She did add bacon to hers, and it smelled really good. But it tasted awful, and the texture was sickening, and I was a child who normally liked everything. I hated HATED that dish and did everything I could to avoid eating it-hiding it under my roll, waiting everyone out, since my job was to clear the table, etc. I would go hungry before I would ever eat liver again.

2 Likes

I drink black coffee every morning and I agree that it is foul. But it wakes me up, so I tolerate it.

2 Likes

Not a huge fan of Lima beans, but I don’t hate them. I really like everything else on that list!!!

Someone else mentioned applesauce. I forgot about that one. I used to eat it, but then one year when I was in elementary school, we had this apple tree that produced 200 pounds of apples. For ever and ever, my mom made applesauce and the smell and sight of it made me want to hurl. I don’t think I’ve eaten it since. We also made a bunch of apple pies, but for some reason I’m ok with those!

When I was in college, I was one of the few students who liked Swiss steak, liver, lim beans, and stewed tomatoes…which were all served on the same night with no other choices. My theory was that They did that because otherwise no one would have eaten them. We usually weren’t given doubles on any foods…but for these, the cafe workers always let me double up!

I only make liver and onions once a year because it doesn’t appeal to anyone else in my house.

I do love stewed tomatoes.

Swiss steak….ewwww.

Stewed tomatoes are great with taco meat. It elevates it and my whole famliy loves my tacos!

1 Like

Deleted

Those foods were staples in my home state of Oklahoma. No one was embarrassed to serve pinto beans and cornbread or fried okra. And no one I knew thought okra was gross, because when it is fried, it’s not slimy at all. We didn’t cook it Cajun style like in gumbo.

One food my grandmother sometimes made that only poor country people ate was poke salad (even though it was cooked like boiled spinach). Pokeweed is a wild plant and the leaves can be eaten when harvested in the spring. It has to be boiled and the water changed two or three times to rinse out the toxins. The older leaves and berries are very poisonous. It was mushy and gross so I never tried it.