Whats the IB program like?

<p>Im going to be doing the IB program this fall, whats it like? Is it as hard as people say it is?</p>

<p>Some of the difficulty depends on your teacher, as with any course. Teacher assigns a ton of homework → course is considered “hard.” Teacher assigns no homework and gives easy quizzes/tests → course is considered “easy.”</p>

<p>IB is challenging. You can mitigate some of the stress by being disciplined. That means doing assigned work, if not more. That means volunteering early (instead of waiting until the last moment for CAS hours). That means knowing to seek help when needed.</p>

<p>Although IB has international set standards, what the program is like can vary a lot from school to school. The Administration of the program has a signigicant impact on the stress level.</p>

<p>IB is challenging. You need to stay on top of things, and use your time wisely to get ahead when possible. Talk to recent grads of your school, and the seniors in the program. Start the CAS hours the minute you can, and get the signitures as you do the activity/service/creativity.</p>

<p>You’ve already gotten some sound advice: stay on top of things and manage your time.</p>

<p>And just to give you an idea of what the IB program is like, I’d like to point out the experience of IB can be like a school unto itself. I attend a high school where there are also non-IB students, and my contact with them is sparse. Being in IB makes it feel like I’m in a completely different environment (and I prefer it that way, to be honest). Sometimes it intimidates kids, sometimes it drives them to work harder. Depends on the individual.</p>

<p>Definitely agree with allshewrote. At my school, the IB kids are kind of like a clan since so many of us have multiple classes with each other and see each other so often. I like it though; the IB kids are there because they want to be and it makes discussions much more stimulating. </p>

<p>Of course the programs are going to vary but I think organisation is key to succeeding in the IB environment. I can’t tell you how many late nights I spent studying/finishing homework that I could’ve done earlier. It’s difficult work but it’s rewarding. Oh and support groups are key! I have a group of friends that I’ve known for a while that are also in the IB program and it’s great because we can rant about IAs/tests and help each other out and such. It’s good to have a solid group of friends around that know what you’re going through.</p>

<p>Aw thanks! You guys rock! I really want to go to schools like Notre Dame and NYU…but my gpa, class rank and grades from freshman/sophomore year werent so hot ): but im determined and im going to do whatever it takes</p>

<p>Oh, I feel as though I should make this clear as well: junior year is going to be really tough. Just grit your teeth and weather through - the second year of DP is supposed to be at least slightly easier (I can’t say that with absolute certainty seeing as I’m only a rising senior, so I’ll let you know).</p>

<p>Here’s hoping you do well! IB really does open a lot of doors if you put in enough effort; what you give is what you get, I’ve learned.</p>

<p>Thank you! I’ll try my best</p>

<p>I’d argue that senior year will be harder, in that you have to balance IB with college apps, and if you’re in Diploma, you also have your EE, TOK presentations, and the majority of your exams. But I think the program is worth it, if only because you’ll become well-equip to deal with loads of work.</p>

<p>Let us put it this way. Sometimes you want to cry, but you realize that you don’t have time to cry.</p>

<p>Basically all they have said above and making coffee your new BFF!</p>

<p>Just be glad you’re not me. Also, if coffee’s not your thing, learn to sleep stealthily during your less stressful classes. </p>

<p>I wouldnt say “stay on top of things” because you’ll definitely slip off a few times, but keep a planner and manage your due dates carefully.</p>

<p>Forgot how to have fun while doing the Gifted IB.</p>

<p>Most students love to exaggerate the difficulty of IB to have something to talk about. If you got into a legitimate IB program, you’re definitely gifted. The most important thing you have to remember, then, is time management.</p>

<p>Do not procrastinate. Do not blow off freshman year.</p>

<p>Personally, freshman year was the most difficult for me because I had no work ethic, which will kill you even if you’re a genius.</p>

<p>Oh, and English is ridiculous. I was terrible at that class until I finally “got it” second semester of sophomore year.</p>

<p>@RMIBStudent</p>

<p>Not to be overly rude or anything, but we all tell ourselves DO NOT PROCRASTINATE, and 98% of us end up with a gallon of hot tea or coffee or 5-hour energy on a Sunday night trying to finish our HIs and Math Portfolios.</p>

<p>Or is that just the people I know?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yep. I procrastinated heavily the very day that I made that post. It’s the most difficult challenge of IB, IMO. If everybody studied seriously, we’d almost all have 4.0’s.</p>

<p>Just to make it clear, by “studied seriously” I do not mean that you have to forfeit your out-of-school life. I would highly advise against becoming too obsessive.</p>

<p>Just had to get that out of the way.</p>

<p>How many hours do IB students sleep? Do they even have time for ECs?</p>

<p>to the above poster, if you’re considering IB:</p>

<p>There will definitely be nights where you will have to sacrifice some sleep to finish your homework. However, those are few and far between, and it’s generally not that bad. I generally sleep four to five hours, but my classmates sleep considerably more than I do (I’m extremely restless at night, something I plan to deal with soon). My ECs aren’t particularly demanding, but I definitely have time for them. If you have strenuous extracurricular activities, however, I could see IB being a problem. However, IB deals a lot with work ethic, more so than I think it does with your intelligence, so being able to balance your ECs with the demanding workload that the International Baccalaureate Programme offers will teach you discipline. If you do a lot that you’re passionate about, however, I wouldn’t recommend going through with IB because you will inevitably have to make sacrifices to finish your homework. AP, while not easier, isn’t as demanding as IB when it comes to the homework you’ll receive. As a general rule, don’t procrastinate if you do IB. Your life will quickly become painful. As a student who has taken AP classes, you’re given a bit more leniency; however, whichever route you choose, it’s not a good idea to put off doing any of your assignments.</p>

<p>Then again, these are my experiences. So much of your IB experience is contingent on your teachers. For example, my history teacher is wonderful, but my English teacher is a nightmare sometimes. Having teachers who make your life a lot easier is a definite plus, but even if your teachers are nightmares, IB is generally doable. I’d recommend that you talk to your coordinator and even some IB students at your school if you’re interested in going through with the program. I’m currently miserable due to a mixture of college apps, procrastination, and some other personal mess. You’ll go through a pretty painful few years, and I can’t say if it’s all worth it. It’s something that you’ll decide for yourself.</p>

<p>tl;dr - you’ll sleep well enough, but you’ll probably have to stay up late to finish your homework sometimes, and you should have time for extracurriculars unless you’re doing a lot of them.</p>

<p>Off topic, but are IB tests harder than AP tests?</p>

<p>I have not taken the AP test, but I believe the IB tests in general are probably easier. The reason I say this is because along with the actual test you have IAs. The IAs (or orals for English and Lang) factor into your overall score. These give you a shot to help raise your test scores. As for AP, you have one shot: you do poorly on the test, odds are you won’t get a high score. In IB, one bad Paper (paper 1, 2, etc.) on the test won’t affect you (given you do well on your IAs and those are representative of you as a student). I believe the IAs help you out in this way; it gives you a chance to show what you know in other ways than simply a test.</p>