When are instructors announced?

<p>Still getting a TBA on the calculus teachers.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when the instructors will be announced?</p>

<p>Before or after exams?</p>

<p>there isn’t a set date. It’s up to each dept.</p>

<p>They have begun to post some of the instructors, as my son learned late last week who is the professor for one of his math classes.</p>

<p>So, let me know if I’m understanding this correctly. At U of Alabama, do you sign up for the classes you want without knowing who is teaching each section? So you just pick it on time, but can’t select a teacher specifically?</p>

<p>A related question - how easy is it to drop/add classes? If you get stuck in a class with a teacher with a poor reputation, is it easy to switch to another section?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Often the profs are listed. However, sometimes depts are figuring out who will teach which section or they’re adding sections, etc…</p>

<p>Don’t think that other colleges are any different. Many of us can remember signing up for classes where the listed name of the prof was “staff”.</p>

<p>And, yes, you can add/drop or change classes very easily…with a click of a button online.</p>

<p>If you have a current professor, you also can ask him/her what he may be teaching the following semester. Last fall, my son’s math professor told his students which sections of a particular class he would be teaching in the spring. So, when they registered, they knew what class to take. It never hurts to ask.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, my son’s calc I teacher doesn’t teach Calc II. He did do as momreads suggested, ask him if he was teaching it so he could sign up for him again.</p>

<p>He has friends who took the AP credit and went right into Calc II, so he’s gotten some recommendations for the spring.</p>

<p>He also was able to do this for Physics, and was able to get the professor he wanted, because most of the physics professors are listed. There is one section that is TBA still.</p>

<p>there are many good Cal II profs. </p>

<p>My older son had Cecilea Laurie, but she retired (awesome prof!)</p>

<p>my younger son had Hadji.</p>

<p>If Gleason is teaching it, he’s really good…He teaches “the why”…not just “the how.”</p>

<p>If anybody needs a Calc I rec, my son had Dr. Paul Allen. He loved him!</p>

<p>For physics, he’s taking Dawn Williams. He loves anything to do with space, and he’s looking forward to meeting a professor that works in that field.</p>

<p>My son recommends Tan-Yu Lee (had him for Calculus III) and Bruce Trace (discrete math). Dr. Lee often uses that Tuesday night lab session for additional help, should students need it.</p>

<p>I just looked at mybama.</p>

<p>Most of the math profs have been named, but it looks like they’re still deciding on the Cal I and II classes.</p>

<p>Bruce Trace is awesome for many 300/400 math classes. My son has had him for 3 classes. Discrete, Complex Cal, and I think Advanced Cal or maybe it was another…I can’t keep track of all his math classes.</p>

<p>Professors for Linear Algebra and Differential Equations I are still TBA.</p>

<p>I had Bruce Trace for Calc II and would highly recommend him.</p>

<p>D’s math professor for next semester isn’t listed yet. However, I was just looking at the SupeStore textbook info and it lists a name where it shows the section of the class so I’m assuming it’s the professor.</p>

<p>If anyone is looking for a Calc II suggestion, she had Martin Evans and really thought he was great.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes, my son had Martin Evans, too, and really liked him. But, I can’t remember which class he had him for.</p>

<p>Ditto for Martin Evans. Son had him this sem. for Calc. II and said he explains things well and his tests and grading are fair. He would recommend him. Too bad Dr. Evans Calc III class in the Spring conflicts with another class or son would have enrolled in it also.</p>

<p>Actually, I had Martin Evans for Cal II and Cecelia Laurie for Cal III.</p>

<p>Also, I had Bruce Trace for Discrete Math, Advanced Calculus, and Real Analysis.</p>

<p>Good try though, mom. :P</p>

<p>In case anybody wants the lowdown on some other math professors, I’ve also had David Halpern (Differential Equations II and Complex Cal), Layachi Hadji (Numerical Analysis and Boundary Value Problems), Shan Zhao (Differential Equations I), Vo Liem (Applied Matrix Theory), and Jim Gleason (History of Math, lol), so let me know if you want recommendations.</p>

<p>I think it would be great to make one master list of math classes and list profs that you liked for that class.</p>

<p>Pre-Cal
Cal I
Honors Cal I
Cal II
Honors Cal II
Cal III
etc…</p>

<p>This thread is making me think of the SNL routine where Chevy Chase says:</p>

<p>I understood there would be no math . . .</p>

<p>Ah, so impressed with these math classes! D had her last pre-calc class today and is so happy that she’ll never have to take a math class ever again :wink: I have such a humanities house.</p>

<p>RobD: I live in the math house – my husband has degrees in applied statistics and economics. Oldest son at Alabama is in economics and math (and poli science, but he loves the stat side of it). Youngest son cannot wait to go to college to take more math – he dislikes English and wants to major in an area that does not require him to write many papers. I’m the humanities person. Like your house, we’ve got more books than Borders.</p>