When does housing open up again?

<p>Just curious when new students will start picking their rooms. And I’m assuming that’s when current students can move around if they want to, or pull other roommates in.</p>

<p>When a new student goes into your room, will you be notified and given their contact information?</p>

<p>Hoping the kids that have to fill in spaces in suites, those that don’t have a prepicked group or that can’t find an empty suite at pick time, will have a chance to email and introduce each other before the fall.</p>

<p>Here’s the freshman housing selection schedule. It starts on April 2nd.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm)</p>

<p>Students are only notified of who selected any additional space(s) in their room/suite during the summer when final housing information is sent out. Before that, they can look at their housing assignment to see the name(s) and email(s) of other students in the room/suite.</p>

<p>So, on April 2nd, a freshman may put himself into son’s room, and if son checks his housing assignment, he can get his email and introduce himself. Am I understanding that correctly?</p>

<p>What about movement for upperclassmen? Say the boys finally do find a fourth, can they pull them in, or are only freshmen allowed to do anything with room assignments on April 2nd?</p>

<p>Will there be a point when freshmen selection ends and then selection opens up to everyone again, or will upperclassmen be allowed to make changes while freshmen selection is going on?</p>

<p>They should be able to access housing during any of the remaining times, including the Freshman slots. Basically once your initial slot has passed you can access during any of the remianing slots.</p>

<p>And yes, Once anyone “claims” an open bed you will see their name and email info in your housing assignment page. You can then reach out and initiate communications.</p>

<p>When we visited on Monday and talked to some current freshman, they said that they recommend looking up your room mate on Facebook and if you don’t like what you see, going back and changing rooms. I am just not sure that you really find out what someone is like based on what is posted on their Facebook site!</p>

<p>You can’t be positive about somone from FB posts but you can get an idea of what you might be working with. </p>

<p>Previous posts about parties, tons of likes for religous/liberal/ consertative causes things like that can give you a feel as to if there is a fit or not.</p>

<p>I agree you can get an idea. I just know that when my son went off to college (granted, in the early years of FB- 2007), he found that a number of the kids were not at all what he had come to expect from what was on FB.</p>

<p>I thought that past a fairly early point, upperclassmen weren’t allowed to move around the same way that incoming freshmen were. Granted once D’s been set, she hasn’t been trying to move around.</p>

<p>My son is set, too, but I’m glad you piped in, Rob. How is this whole housing selection thing affecting kids who were on study abroad/internships/coops last semester or last year? Since son is in his third year, a lot of his contemporaries may have been doing junior year abroad, as they used to call it in my time, and perhaps there are some single upperclassmen on housing scholarships that are still looking for a room.</p>

<p>Well, it complicates things as the behind the scenes check boxes in the housing software aren’t automatically checked for the kids who aren’t on campus. I have many compliments for Janine and other housing staff for being so timely in response to D1’s (and my) email & call. Before D1 left campus, she had to fill out paperwork to release herself from the Spring housing contract. Since she wasn’t on campus this Spring, she wasn’t able to choose her own housing; housing placed her in a room, but not right away; she/we had to call/email to trigger that. She originally was placed in RCS-N, but hoped to be in RCW. She sent an email and checked the next morning to see that was taken care of for her within 12 hours. </p>

<p>Since she’s has the NMF scholarship, she’s guaranteed housing. Not sure how it works if you don’t have the housing scholarship.</p>

<p>Rob, I’m not sure I can personally claim credit for that one, but you’re sweet to thank us! I work with a lot of great people. :)</p>

<p>Janine</p>