When is the housing reg. starting for returning students, more

<p>D has applied to be an RA next year. She is finding out whether she was chosen on February 9th. I thought she had to sign up for housing on Feb. 1st. She did sign up for housing at the first opportunity in the fall, maybe in OCt or Nov. So when does housing start?</p>

<p>I think room selection for returning students is around 2/24.</p>

<p>The deadline to apply to recontract is February 1st and students will be notified of their ability to recontract and are required to place their housing deposit in the couple of days after that. On February 9th, she will get a reply about her RA application. Room selection is in late February/early March.</p>

<p>So SEA-tide, does that mean that in a few days I should be paying the housing deposit? Will we get that back if she is chosen to be an RA?</p>

<p>By the way, what does she get as an RA? Just a free room or does anything else go with that? She did indicate she could be there on breaks.</p>

<p>JUST a free room? </p>

<p>idk the answer, but “just” a free room seems like pretty good payment to me.</p>

<p>I think that a free room for the regular job of an RA is great payment. I was asking this because she said, some of the RAs are needed to stay during breaks. Since they all get the room, I would think that whoever is needed to stay would maybe get something more???Otherwise, some people get a free room and breaks and other people get a free room and no breaks or less breaks.</p>

<p>As I understand it they get paid a stipend, as well. Anyone else know for sure?</p>

<p>Yes, they are paid a small stipend as well.
RAs are assigned (do not select) communities, floors, and rooms.
Some buildings have private rooms, some are 4 person. (3 plus RA)
A few dorms remain open during breaks and need RAs there.
RAs must reapply and reinterview each year.</p>

<p>RAs get housing, a small stipend, and a discounted 160-meal plan where all of the meals are guest meals (the meal plan is optional). Spring and winter break pay is in addition to these benefits.</p>

<p>If a student will live in campus regardless if they are selected to be an RA, then they will need to pay the housing deposit. If they pay the deposit and are then selected to be an RA, $225 of the housing deposit will be put on the students account. I am not sure as to the $25 application fee, but there is a chance that it will be refunded. If not, consider it $25 well spent and possibly as a business expense for the student’s income taxes.</p>

<p>Just wondering - can sophomores be RAs or is it limited to upperclassmen? Also, does the process for application begin in the fall? Thank you …</p>

<p>Yes, sophomores can be RAs. The process has just ended for next year.</p>

<p>Yes, my d who just applied will be a second semester sophomore in the fall. She applied because they sent her an email asking her if she would like to apply. She hadn’t even thought about it before because she knew her RAs were older and didn’t even know before that email that she was eligible.</p>

<p>Son has same RA this year as last year. Very nice guy. He was a sophomore last year, and is a junior this year. He did a good job, and we’re happy to have him back.</p>