When should a prospective Blount student pay housing deposit?

Hello. New poster and parent of an admitted UA student here… I have read a lot of the threads on housing and important dates, etc. but didn’t find an answer to my specific question.

My son hopes to be accepted to Blount Initiative and, if so, would like to live in Blount housing. Should he pay the enrollment and housing deposits before he finds out if he is accepted to Blount? Is Blount housing a bit more “guaranteed” for Blount students than other honors housing? Due to financial constraints we would prefer not to pay the deposits earlier than we have to, but want to ensure he has a spot in honors housing regardless. When might he receive a decision from Blount? Any help from the UA experts on here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@dscottvb, I can’t answer your question about when you’ll hear from the Blount Initiative, but given that many honors overlow students end up placed in Blount, I would think you’re safer than you would be for the other honors housing.

http://blount.as.ua.edu/blount-life/blount-buildings/the-blount-living-learning-center/

How long ago did your son apply to the Initiative?

Thanks, Lucie… that was my assumption also, but I defer to others with more expertise. My son applied near the deadline (12/15 or so) and has been selected for a phone interview next week. We could not make the trip to Tuscaloosa last Friday for the on-site activities.

My son interviewed for Blount on Friday and they said they would notify people around the second week in February. I am no expert, but it seems that Blount would be able to house people invited to the program. However, if you know that your son is going to attend UA regardless of whether he gets into Blount, paying the deposits early is a good idea since choosing rooms is based on when you paid your deposit.

Is your son planning to go to Bama even if he doesn’t get into Blount? If so, I’d make the deposits ASAP to keep his options open. If not, my understanding is that all Blount freshman will get housing in Blount.