When should I SIR?

<p>I haven’t completely committed to a college yet, but I feel like I’m lagging behind! Most UC acceptances are out and I’m sure thousands of people have already SIRed. I’m mainly worried about housing! I’m going to spend a very important year somewhere, it’s imperative that I get the best spot possible. How early should I SIR to get a decent spot?
(I’m thinking of colleges like Davis, Cal, UCLA, or UCSD–Thurgood Marshall)</p>

<p>I know UCSD guarantees you housing so it doesn’t matter how long you wait. I would hope the other places are similar. Can you really miss out on housing at the other places?</p>

<p>Alongside with your SIR, you also have to turn in your housing app by May 1st. Your SIR just states that you plan on going to the school. Normally the housing application is separate from the SIR. I believe the housing application is the app that determines what housing you get put in. The earlier you turn in the housing app, the more likely you’re to get your 1st or 2nd preferences. This is what I know from research and other resources. I think it would be more helpful to ask a current college student. :)</p>

<p>It doesn’t matter when you turn in the housing app for UCSD. I don’t know about other places though.</p>