When to pay housing deposit

<p>is it ok to pay the deposit in march or april, when everything (college apps, financial aid, etc) has settled down?</p>

<p>im worried that they might run out of housing, since UA has rolling admissions and they dont guarantee housing</p>

<p>^^^If you wait that long there’s a good chance you’re going to end up very unhappy. The earlier you pay your deposit, the higher you’ll be in the queue for housing/room selection. Go back and read some of the threads on this subject from March/April 2010 to see what I mean.</p>

<p>Do NOT wait that long. You may not get the choices that you want. </p>

<p>Each year has gotten worse for housing. 2 years ago, kids who waited that long did not have problems.</p>

<p>However…Last year, families who waited that long were VERY UPSET (you should read their posts here) because they assumed that they could deposit that late and still have decent picks. In truth, there weren’t any honors choices left and they had to wait for other kids to cancel their choices to get their housing. Some were also able to have friends “pull them” into their suites.</p>

<p>I expect that this year will be even WORSE. :(</p>

<p>I would not deposit later than January. I would try to deposit by Dec at the latest.</p>

<p>hmm ill keep that in mind. UCs and other schools do not give out decisions until the spring, so you can see where i was going with that…</p>

<p>ugh. time to think long and hard. i dont want to waste the hundreds of dollars my parents paid for those UCs apps (not that i want to go to one of them very much, but a part of it is up to my parents)</p>

<p>maybe i can forgo the honors housing. what was left last year on april 1? and what’s off-campus housing like? (since i heard housing was not guaranteed for freshman) thank you guys! im not a stickler for where i live as long as i have a bed and some quietness</p>

<p>Siglio21: Take a look at the housing Q and A.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/general_faq.cfm#q6]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/general_faq.cfm#q6)</p>

<p>Even if you chose to send in the deposit and application and then later decide to attend another university, you will receive a refund of most of your deposit. If you qualify for honors housing, you want to live in those dorms during your freshman year. If you do not, you give up your chance to live there in future years. So show the information to your folks. Maybe they will consider sending in that deposit.</p>

<p>hmm…thank you momreads…wow that’s pretty cool…most schools only allow you to send in a deposit after you choose them</p>

<p>i dont have to send in the enrollment deposit first do i?</p>

<p>anyways im not sure why my parents think i can still afford a uc other than the one nearby…maybe they think theyre gonna win the lottery or something :)</p>

<p>^^^I couldn’t agree more with momreads. Virtually all of the housing deposit is refundable. Of course, you’ve got to first plunk down the non-refundable enrollment deposit of $200. So, all in all you’re risking $225, if my math is correct, to hold a spot. </p>

<p>Siglio21, I’m a U.C. Berkeley grad and I bleed blue and gold, when I’m not bleeding crimson and white. If you or your parents ever wish to discuss the pros and cons of U.C. vs. Bama, feel free to pm me.</p>

<p>$425 i think</p>

<p>ill think about it. thank you!!</p>

<p>^^^$200 non-refundable enrollment deposit + $250 housing deposit (of which $225 is refundable, should you choose not to enroll at UA)=$450 outlay of cash.</p>

<p>Should you decide to enroll at another university, you will lose $225, or half, of your $450 outlay. Should you wait until March or April, you will probably lose an irretrievable opportunity to secure honors housing. It’s a difficult decision, to be sure, and only you can fully appreciate the pros and cons of the equation. Good luck!</p>

<p>Malanai is correct. You would get refunded $225 if you didn’t attend Bama.</p>

<p>Frankly, I think you should deposit. If you don’t start in honors housing, you can never get into honors later. Honors housing is a lot more quiet.</p>

<p>yeah im leaning towards that</p>

<p>UC’s are going to raise their tuition again :(</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>It’s going to be an annual thing, I think.</p>

<p>that not even including the rest of the cost of attendance…</p>

<p>anyways im not sure what to do now …i guess my parents dont want me to leave home or something</p>

<p>well at least i have a few months to think about it :)</p>

<p>I’m not positive I’m going to Alabama, but my parents and I decided it was best to save me a spot, and while 200$ is a lot of money, esp. now, coupled with app fees etc, in the long run, it won’t kill us. I would talk to your parents and explain that you’re seriously considering UA, and, while you can’t say you’re positive, it’s imperative to reserve a spot, because you don’t wanna end up out of luck in the spring.
Good luck!</p>

<p>I don’t really understand why UA expects us to pay the deposits so early? I guess it’s a way of expressing commitment.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>probably so they can get an idea about…</p>

<p>housing needs</p>

<p>rolling admissions (how many more they can accept)</p>

<p>distribution of majors</p>

<p>scholarship awards (perhaps those who deposit have a better chance at dept scholarships? I don’t know about that particularly)</p>

<p>How can you ensure that you can get a super suite? Is it just deposit on a first come first served basis?</p>

<p>You cannot ensure yourself of any particular room. It is first come, first serve. That said, the earlier you pay your deposit, the better your chances of landing the dorm/suite you desire.</p>

<p>So, what’s the point of room mate finder then if you are just picking a room in a suite? Is it to see who you might want to throw yourself in with?</p>