When to take SAT

Currently a sophomore, I am thinking to study SAT in this summer and take the first SAT in August, maybe the second in October (as my school’s PSAT is also in October). In this way, I do not need to spend much time during the Junior school year. I have two questions:

1. Many people do not recommend taking SAT early. Am I early?
  2. Computer SAT is also coming soon. Is there any benefit to waiting until 2024 to take a computer test?

October is not bad. You can do one more in spring if necessary

when do you think is the ideal time?

One person posted that the computer-based SAT was a technical challenge for them. I’d say that if you can be ready in time, take the paper based one this year. Also, if you’re a US student, prep now and that will cover you for the PSAT Nat Merit competition, too.

yes, that is also my thinking. I do want to clear all SAT/PSAT after october and focus on other stuff. And I also do not want to risk any new challenge from computer based SAT.

Many people recommend taking sat in junior year. Not sure if the August after Soophomore is a little bit early?

You can take it whenever you are ready. Your math and reading skills don’t change much after 11th grade. If you need a summer to prep, take it in fall of 11th grade. If the summer is booked, prep in winter break of 11th grade and do it in spring of 11th grade. Best not to wait until fall of senior year. Or even the summer after junior year because that summer is often busy with a camp or some EC

1 Like

Yes, that’s a bit earlier than normal. The typical time to take it is spring Junior year around us. I see a bunch of kids take it twice Junior year. Either December & March or March and June.

You didn’t mention what classes you’re taking Junior year. I see a lot of kids do better after they finish higher level math. I know my son was in Calculus his Junior year, and being further along in the spring helped him increase his score from the fall. He also had a great AP Lang teacher that year, who he credits with helping him increase his Reading/Writing score. Just something to think about.

My usual advice is for students who have completed Algebra 2 to study for both the PSAT and SAT for Fall Junior year - so SAT October or November. Since you only get one shot at PSAT/NMSQT, probably SAT first.

If you haven’t completed Algebra 2, wait until May or June of Junior year, to complete more math preparation.

Don’t wait until Fall Senior year for the first attempt. I’ve seen way too many “my SAT was cancelled and it’s my first and only test date before the deadline” posts.

If you’re through Algebra 2, August is fine, if prepared. I don’t consider it too early, if prepared, no. If Algebra 2 isn’t complete, then you haven’t covered everything on the test, so it probably is too early.

I don’t see a benefit of waiting until next March, if you are prepared, no.

1 Like

Note the Fall 2023 PSAT is fully digital in the US. SAT is not digital until 2024 in the US.

My son did just this. Prepped a few hours a week over the summer, took the SAT in august and psat in October. He had just finished algebra 2 and has excellent reading skills. If you have finished algebra skills and read a lot it is a great idea. He is going to take it once more at the end of this year since AP lit and precalculus have given him more skills that may bump him up a few points but it is not needed. Prepping for the SAT definitely made him more comfortable for the PSAT too.

1 Like

wow, so my PSAT is digital for sure. I did not know that.

1 Like

thanks for the detailed explanation. I am currently taking Pre-Cal. Another thing I have not mentioned, our school also offered PSAT for sophomores although it cannot count for National Merit. I took it last Oct and got 1460. So do you think I should be ready for SAT after some intensive study this summer?
I will take several APs in my Junior year. As SAT now takes less and less weight, I just hope to minimize the time for SAT and leave more room for AP, EC, etc.

If you got a 1460 on the psat as a sophomore and are taking precalculus now you should be great with minimal prep. Take a practice test and see where you are

5 Likes

Based on current admissions trends if you don’t think you’re going to ace them I wouldn’t take them at all. :0)

another question, which month usually has a better grade curve, if any?

Hard to micro manage this process. Just go and take it. It won’t matter if it is 10 points either way. Received wisdom is anything over a 1560 or something is all the same.

1 Like

My daughter took it in June after her sophomore year to hopefully get that part of the process done. Worked out well since the math was fresh in her head.

1 Like

I heard some colleges only accept SAT scores after 11th grade, is it true? If so, does August before Junior year count?

yes