When writing awards for UC apps

<p>The strongest awards I have are related to my extracurricular: piano. I have around 9 of these certificate of achievements/awards, but is there enough space to list them all? I passed the Certificate of Merit (CM) Levels 7, 8, and 9 with high marks every year, qualified and went to the CM Conventions for every year for 3 years, and was accepted to the CM branch honors recital for every year for 3 years as well. So to sum it up, I received 3 awards every consecutive year. I don’t think the UC applications will provide 9 slots minimum for me to list these, so how does it work? Also, are these awards strong in your guys’ opinion?</p>

<p>5 slots, use them wisely. You have a little space next to the award you named to describe it. If you can find a way to list all of those in what I believe was limited to I think 5 words max (a word being 7 letters), then go for it. Choose the most important ones, and try and diversify what you have. 5 slots for piano<1 slot for piano, 1 for community service, 1 for academic decathlon etc. Your awards are strong, but it will get repetitive for an adcom to read through all of them. Also, you can only list the ones from high school, not before.</p>

<p>Should I even bother to put in principal's honor roll or the school's academic achievement award? I'm guessing they're handed to everyone in the whole country a dime a dozen</p>

<p>^Pretty much. However, if it's the ONLY thing not piano related that you can think of, its still better than having 5 piano awards. Don't you have some AP awards and stuff?</p>

<p>What I'm planning to do is to separate my piano awards into 3 sections since I don't know how to condense 9 awards into 1 little space. So it'll look something like this.</p>

<p>1) MTAC Certificate of Merit Levels 7, 8, 9, (3)
2) Certificate of Merit Convention (3)
3) MTAC Branch Honors Recital (3)
4) Academic Decath: 4th place in music / this other award I got from the school district for winning(my team won first overall 3rd division) do team medals count? </p>

<p>I forgot I'm an AP Scholar ....but when do you get the actual award anyway? </p>

<p>5) AP Scholar</p>

<p>oh man, we can only use ECs from HS?</p>

<p>If you started an EC before you got to high school and continuted it throughout high school make sure to mention that somewhere on your application.</p>

<p>but if i got like top state awards for something in like 4-6 grades, then it doesn't count?</p>

<p>^Nope. Awards can only be from high school. Of course if you did get the award prior to high school AND during high school, you can make note of that on the side.</p>

<p>could i still say that i've done that activity for 6-7 yrs? like would mentioning it help, or should i use that space for something else?</p>

<p>If you have something else to say, and if you think its important, say it. Otherwise, 6-7 years shows a great commitment. Also, realize that the space next to the activity also has to list your position, so keep that in mind before elaborating too much.</p>

<p>what do u mean by position?</p>

<p>As in your position in the club. For you, I guess "treasurer"</p>

<p>Hey can I add a team award (1st place in division) with my academic decath music award or are those award slots strictly for individual awards?</p>

<p>^I did. I wouldn't imagine theres anything wrong with it since the point system at UCSD specifically mentions academic decathlon awards.</p>

<p>I can only speak for UC Davis, please contact other campuses you are interested in applying to if you are concerned with how this will affect applications to their campus. </p>

<p>You can list any awards you prefer in the awards section.<br>
First Place Music: Place first place in state (county, national) level Academic decathlon.
That would work fine for UC Davis. Also if you can place awards into one category please do so:
Piano merit Awards: Merit level 7, 8, 9; Certificate Merit Convention; MTAC Branch Honors Recital
Academic Decath: 4th place music, first place team division level.
Another great example for UC Davis.</p>

<p>Team awards count! You were part of the team and contributed to the award.
Please only use achievements completed while in high school. Note, awards must be completed or received by the date of the application since we cannot use possible future awards.</p>