Where do students who are average in their class at very prestigious boarding schools get into college?

He really likes it. It’s a very good school. It would probably be more popular if not for the location.

Yeah, Rochester is on my short list of colleges that feels very much like other top private research universities, just with a higher admit rate because of location. But I personally like the location, so to me that acting as a deterrent is a pro and not a con.

More importantly, it is a pretty popular application college in our feederish high school. I think our yield rate is under 25%, but they still get a good number of our people, some of whom end up with merit. And merit from a university like Rochester is a pretty compelling result.

1 Like

DS had a couple of BS friends (his year and adjacent) who chose URochester - with enthusiasm. It fits into a very particular place in terms of vibe, size, etc and for these kids, it was a Cinderella fit.

As an observation, the BS kids we knew were not as obsessed with prestige as the OP might help assumed. They knew themselves well, knew what kind of learning environment was likely to be good for them, and what they were seeking for environment.

I think a kid in the “middle of the class” at BS knew what “exceptional” looked like, whether a math superstar or an amazing musician, and could put it all in context too, so it wasn’t like there were sour grapes over the kids holding acceptances to the tippiest tops.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.