Where does UCSD stand?

<p>Hey guys I was just trying to decide whether to attend UCLA or UCSD. I got into bioengineering and I heard UCSD is probably the best bioengineering among the nation (aside from johns hopkins). However I really can’t take away that prestige. So what do you think about UCSD?
do you think it has enough prestige or should I stick with UCLA?</p>

<p>is UCSD considered a top tier UC (UCB, UCLA) or a mid tier (UCD, UCI, UCSB)?
Thanks for your opinions!</p>

<p>You're right, UCSD is the school for bioengineering. Their prestige among UCs is somewhere between UCLA/Cal and Davis/SB/Irvine. But for bioengineering, SD is the best among the UCs. Bar none.</p>

<p>Hold on, despite the fact that UCSD has one of the best bioengineering schools, you may not attend just because of the university's prestige? What do you get from this prestige other than an ego boost?</p>

<p>well, I guess you guys are right ^_^ so if i am SURE i am doing B-engineering, should I go with SD?</p>

<p>Undergrad rankings for bioE/BME (2008)</p>

<p>John Hopkins
Duke
Georgia Tech
UCSD</p>

<p>For grad school, UCSD is #2. If you wanna do BioE, GO TO UCSD.</p>

<p>Definitely UCSD, it's the best for Bioengineering.</p>

<p>As for tiers of prestige, it's somewhere between Cal/UCLA and Davis/SB/Irvine. However, when it has to be categorized into one of those two tiers, it's put in the top tier with Cal/UCLA (at least that's what I always hear from admissions officers).</p>

<p>happyioaw, you should definitely consider going to UCSD over UCLA. Although UCLA may hold that prestige, UCSD holds a strong, well funded bioengineering program. When it comes down to the education, UCLA and UCSD will teach you what you need, but the resources and faculty at UCSD will be more plentiful. For those who really love BME/bioE, UCSD would make their mouths water with the opportunities outside the classroom at UCSD.</p>