Where/if to ED: Emory vs Case Western vs U of Rochester for Computer Science

Hello,
After much digging on Naviance, we saw Emory, Case Western, and U of Rochester as good options for where DS is with his GPA.

Stats:
11 APs, 5 honors by end of HS
SAT score of 1520 and taking it again
2 summer research internships (stanford and UC Irvine)
2 paid coding internships
Captain of varsity team
VP and President of class.

He is interested doing undergrad research and potentially going to grad school too.

Wondering if experienced folks here could weigh in on some questions weā€™re struggling with:

1. What is the academic rigor and undergrad research like at these universities?
  2. Does it make sense to ED (binding) to one of these 3 schools at the risk of losing the early action opportunity to UIUC, Madison, Purdue, UCs (in-state tuition is amazingly low for the quality)
  3. Is there one of these schools that is ā€œbetterā€ for Comp Sci. I dont mean in terms of US news rankings. I mean things like teaching quality, research ops, quality of student network, employability, grad school prospects, smaller classes, safety etc.

Also, we are in California and it is super competitive here. Weā€™re cutely aware that not all our kids get into Ivys, public Ivys like the top UCs, Stanford, USC, etc. where outcomes are much more predictable. Pretty much every UC is now competitive except Merced, Riverside (theyre rapidly moving up too) which severely reduces our acceptance odds for an impacted major like Comp Sci.

Got any advice for us?

Are you looking for advice for which UC or CSU might be a good fit or are you asking specifically about Emory, Case and Rochester?

Iā€™ll take a stab at this.
1.) No idea on those three specific schools.
2.) Finances are probably required here. If NPC suggests costs will be inline with UCā€™s, or if $$ truly donā€™t matter, visit all three and if one is above the others, then maybe itā€™s worth it. I personally would not throw away the chance at a UCD, UCSD or UCSB etc.
3.) In going through a similar search with S21, we were looking for a large CS department to ensure adequate resources and class selection, but a program that ensured smaller classes and a path to create an even smaller cohort.

Editing to add, that if his CS experience is aligned with his paid internships, you will want to make sure that there is a selection of classes that will allow him to go deeper into his preferred subjects. That may require a graduate program.

Hi [lkg4answers]
I am asking about whether doing a binding ED application is a good idea for the universities - Emory, U of Rochester, Case western
If our chances at other schools I listed are not good, it would make sense to apply ED which slights boosts acceptance odds into an impacted major.

Thanks [parentkeith]

ā€œwould not throw away the chance at a UCD, UCSD or UCSBā€

Thatā€™s exactly why this has been such a tough decision. Finances are not a primary consideration. DS has had a college fund since he was born where every bonus I ever got went.

What schools did you shortlist? Your criteria of ā€œlarge CS department to ensure adequate resources and class selection, but a program that ensured smaller classesā€ is exactly what DS was hoping for, but thatā€™s something like a Caltech (which is out of reach for us).

S21 shot high, his safety was essentially CC and/or directly into workforce.
Safety: Cal Poly and UCD (in hindsight, Cal Poly should not have been a safety)
Targeted programs: UCSB CCS and UT Austin Turing program.
Top CS programs: UCSD, UIUC, UCLA, CMU, Stanford, MIT

No acceptances at the top CS programs, but your ECā€™s are more traditional than his were which could help. Accepted to both targeted programs likely due to Professors reading applications. Denied Cal Poly and accepted into UCD CS. All of these we thought would meet the requirements and he would not have maxed out the available classes in four years.
Without test scores or traditional ECā€™s, we did not think hunting merit at privates would pay any dividends. So only applied to private schools that might be worth the full pay tuition.

2 Likes

Very helpful. Thank you so much.

All three are great schools, but with all of the UC, CSU, and WUE options that have excellent CS departments, itā€™s hard for me to see any of them as such a compelling draw for CS in particular, to justify a binding early application. IMHO, there would need to be other attributes of the school that make it a particularly good fit, above and beyond a solid CS program, to consider applying ED. My question would be, if those attributes do exist, why is there not one of these universities that is particularly resonating? The fact that youā€™re ā€œpollingā€ CC about which is best for CS hints at the lack of an obvious favorite and the qualities that would create one. If thatā€™s the case, Iā€™d stick with non-binding applications. If one of these schools truly checks all the boxes, above and beyond the other schools on his list, then consider EDā€¦ but ED for the sake of ED is not a good idea, especially for schools that are so expensive and far from home.

With your sonā€™s research focus and experience, the Computing major in UCSBā€™s College of Creative Studies (which requires a separate application in addition to the UC app) deserves a close look: Computing | UCSB College of Creative Studies

You didnā€™t mention GPA. The CA publics are all test-blind now, so grades are particularly important.

3 Likes

Thanks aquapt!

Honestly, our perception is that they are so similar and equally likable. We looked at lots of youtube video posts from enrolled kids and the UG research offices from each of these ED targets. Campus size, dorm quality, local diversity, and safety seemed very similar. The students seemed focused on academics. In terms of weather, any place outside where we are in California would be a step down (sorry), so we just didnā€™t consider it. Thatā€™s why the question because we are trying to finalize approach before EA/ED deadline next month. We just wondered if parents or kids who went there would have anything additional to offer based on their own experience. Prestige for the sake of prestige is not important to us as long heā€™s getting a solid academic foundation and opportunity to work w/ professors.

GPA: 4.3/4 weighted, 3.8 unweighted. His grades during remote learning suffered a bit which is why weā€™re not wasting time on top tier.
AP scores: 5s in 4 subjects (including Physics, Calc) , 4s in 2. The other 5 APs heā€™s taking this year.

Bit of a new development - he mentioned he is no longer interested in ED to Case Western and Emory because of some recent changes to the state laws there that disproportionately effect women, but also change things for men IMHO. I guess that simplifies things for us ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

I think from your first message - you neednā€™t ED.

You want access to the publics mentioned and ED potentially takes that away.

All three are fine schools - but theyā€™re not stand outs above plenty where heā€™ll get into, especially for CS.

2 Likes

I agree that ED doesnā€™t make sense when there are stronger programs on the EA list. FWIW, I think your child will be competitor Purdue.

2 Likes

Also, I think itā€™s not a great idea to ED at a school you havenā€™t visited in person. And, although itā€™s moot now, Emory and the University of Rochester are in very different settings, and have different feels. Not interchangeable!

1 Like

I agree with the comments above regarding applying ED, but just for accuracy want to point out that the following isnā€™t correct:

Applying ED does not prevent you from simultaneously applying to non-binding EA programs.

Yes we also wouldnā€™t consider any abortion ban states, for sure, but still not clear on the question, why canā€™t he ED U of Rochester for example (NY is fine) and also EA all those California schools? Of course only makes sense if the ED school is first choice, but it does give a significant admissions boost.

No, but if one of the ED schools came through, then itā€™s binding and the student is pulling apps from UIUC, Purdue, etcā€¦ which arguably have stronger CS programs.

2 Likes

Yes thatā€™s why I said I agree with the recommendation not to ED. But was pointing out that it does not preclude EA applications, as OPā€™s post seemed to imply.

1 Like

Since he is looking at Emory, why not look at Georgia Tech? Not private, but much stronger CS program and excellent research opportunities, internships, job placement.

2 Likes

Since just UR is on your short list now and cost is no issue, any chance you can fly there and see it in person? The airport is about 15 minutes from the school.

IME, students who have visited the school know whether this one is the right one for them or not. Itā€™s a more open curriculum school with many who double major and get involved in research. Sports love is low, though there are some. My own alum knew it was the school for him when we walked through the dorms and he saw a handwritten sign that said, ā€œWeā€™re not nerds, weā€™re intellectual badā€”es.ā€ He spent the night and enjoyed talking research while at some sort of music club (with his hosts).

But I have no idea how the CS department compares, so canā€™t help with that - just the vibe. If you were visiting, ask for anything CS related ahead of time to see if you can tour the area and meet some students or profs.

2 Likes

I agree that visiting before committing to an ED application would be prudent, especially with so many great options on the table that donā€™t offer ED.

And if you were traveling to Rochester, you could visit RIT as well. Itā€™s also a very strong CS school.

I visited UR with my younger daughter; their info session was one of the best I ever attended. Tour was good too although it was in the summer (kid couldnā€™t travel during her fall sport) so it didnā€™t impart the ā€œvibeā€ as well as it might have during the year. She had an on-site interview which was also a plus. I really liked the school, and she got a decent merit offer, but it didnā€™t end up winning out over our California options. And I have to say that with everything that happened while she was in college, I ended up being grateful to have her within driving distance. Still, UR is one of the ā€œroads not takenā€ that I felt could have been a great experience.

4 Likes