Where to eat after the game?

<p>My son, husband, and I are going to the game this weekend, and staying in Christiansburg. Do you have any recommendations for dinner after the game, either in town or towards C-burg? Also, we are going to a Graduate school brunch at Donaldson Brown at 9:30. What would be our options for parking?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>River Mill or the Farmhouse Restaurant</p>

<p>Rivermill is great in Blacksburg, but it’ll be very packed after the game. It has burgers and tater tots.</p>

<p>If you want greek (specialty pizza/pasta) go to The Cellar, if you want regular pizza PKs. All those places are within easy walking distance of campus (along with several other good restaurants but if I had to pick just one it’d be one of those.)</p>

<p>Traffic will be a nightmare toward CBurg after the game so you may be best off eating in town to wait that out a bit, but if you decide to head back Bull and Bones is a pretty decent steak place and the japanese steakhouse in Christiansburg is pretty good.</p>

<p>Is the brunch on Saturday? Parking is going to be rough but I’ve got a good tip on that. Get off of 460 on the Tom’s Creek exit and turn toward the 7-11 on Tom’s Creek. After you pass through the intersection (with the 7-11 on your right) you’ll be headed toward campus so the longer you stay on the shorter your walk will be, but the more you’ll pay (in the neighborhood of $10-$25.) If you see the elementary school on your left there isn’t much left so you may want to pull in at the next opportunity. </p>

<p>Once you park just walk down Tom’s Creek and you’ll see campus. To get to Donaldson Brown you really basically walk a straight line. Tom’s Creek turns into Stanger, and once you pass the Drillfield Stanger turns into Kent, and DB is on the left. It’s about a mile walk.</p>

<p>Thanks, chuy! Yes, the brunch is a “graduate school homecoming” pre-game event, and it starts at 9:30am. It sounds like we should plan to be on Tom’s Creek looking to park about 9am . . .</p>

<p>The game is at noon, and we are planning to go to Bull and Bones, using the “call ahead” reservation system. If we stay until the end of the game and walk to our car, how long do you think it will take us to get to the restaurant, with the post-game traffic?</p>

<p>You’ll probably take about 45 minutes to an hour to get back to your car from the stadium if you stay till the end since there is a lot of foot traffic.</p>

<p>Traffic is going to be pretty awful right after the game. There are two ways to get there. One is to stay on main street which is shorter but traffic will be stop and go the whole time. If you want to try something a little different you can go back, get on 460 main again, go around Blacksburg and circle back around to Main. I don’t know which will be quicker that day; I haven’t had to drive a whole lot. Once you get to your car I’d count on a solid half hour best case scenario driving.</p>

<p>Chuy–Thanks so much for the parking tips. Your idea of parking on Tom’s Creek worked great. We were early (about 9am), and didn’t see any people with signs on their properties yet, so we just kept going (past the Elementary school), and just before Price’s Fork, on the right, there was a small commercial building with a “$10 parking” sign, so we parked there and just walked to Donaldson Brown for the Graduate School Homecoming reception, then to the game, and then walked back to the car. We drove back on Tom’s Creek to 460, and then his a bit of traffic backed up at the light at Southgate, but that was it as far as bad traffic. </p>

<p>We watched the game from our seats in Row F, just behind the goal posts where the Hokies kicked their winning field goal! :slight_smile: We stayed for the whole game, walked back to our car, and got to Bull & Boned by 4:30, and got seated very quickly, thanks to calling ahead. Overall, a great day!</p>

<p>Glad to hear you had a good time! I was over in the other endzone.</p>

<p>Then I got engaged after the game. Wow I’ve been on this message board a long, long time.</p>

<p>Wow! Congrats chuy!hoping you keep helping people on this board.</p>

<p>Oh yeah, I’ll be here as long as I think I’m useful. Although from my long walk around campus today where I didn’t recognize a half dozen buildings I can only hope that’ll be a while, haha.</p>

<p>Seriously though, I started posting on here when I was looking for which college to go to, and it’s really come full circle.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your engagement,chuy! How exciting!</p>

<p>What a nice thing to read about tonight! Congratulations chuy! That is wonderful and I wish so much happiness for you and your fiance! Hope she doesn’t mind “giving you up” for a bit sometimes so you can continue to share your insights. You have been such a great source of information about the school. Best wishes to both of you! :)</p>

<p>Wow!! Congratulations! And how nice that you got engaged in Blacksburg! To a fellow engineer? :slight_smile: I echo the others who express their gratitude for all you do for all of us on this VT board! The information you provide is extremely helpful!</p>

<p>BTW, I got my masters at VT in '81, so I’m with you on not recognizing many of the buildings!! :)</p>