Where to ED to get most optimal advantage

@circuitrider it came as a big surprise to me that he loved Hamilton. He liked how every student we met seemed really comfortable in their own skin, was friendly and outgoing, and involved in tons of activities. He loved that each student is assigned 3 advisors and that there is an emphasis on developing into exceptional writers and speakers across curricula. He is a professional actor and has been through media training, but loves the idea of developing his speaking skills when they represent his true voice, and not something scripted for him or sanitized for a magazine article. He really liked the rock climbing wall (as compared to other walls he’s seen on campus visits) and the active outdoor adventure programs.

9 Likes

It is the crux of the issue, and so hard for anyone but you and him to decide, especially since it seems like you do have a good handle on the most current data and on the specifics of his application.

Here is a cautionary tale of a student who didn’t do ED1 to her top school: Our close friends’ daughter applied ED1 to a top 10 school. She is an affluent majority student who attends a well-respected but not tippy top private school in NYC. She has a sibling where she applied and I thought it was her first choice school. She was admitted.

We were together on Ivy day and she found out that one of her classmates was admitted to what was really her top choice school (a top 5 ranked college). She didn’t apply early because she didn’t think she had a chance of acceptance there. The school she says she preferred doesn’t have ED, but has a restrictive EA
so almost all of the limitations of ED without many of the upsides. I’m guessing that her private counselor and high school counselor all, quite reasonably, advised her against it based on many factors.

She was devastated, as she believed that her classmate was not as strong of an applicant. Now
as adults, we all know that this kind of comparison is impossible and she could not make that kind of assessment, but she is a kid and was feeling like she missed out on an opportunity. She was really upset and continued to be for the rest of the night. I was surprised because I expected her to enjoy her ED acceptance and move on, but that wasn’t the case. I don’t know if this was teenage angst, some immaturity, competitiveness with a frenemy, or a genuine sense of regret.

All that said, the final decision really depends on how your son will react to each scenario. If he gets into Wesleyan ED, will he always wonder about Hamilton? Will he move on and be excited about Wesleyan? If he is genuinely ok with the safeties on his list and those are true safeties, ED to Hamilton is probably the best choice so that he doesn’t have regrets. You can collect and analyze data for months, but if he will alway wonder about Hamilton then it is the right decision even if it isn’t the most statistically favorable one.

9 Likes

Make sure that he reaches out to the drama department and interviews with them, sits in on an acting class and sends in a supplement if possible. My S who is at a conservatory was admitted to several schools above his expected level because he did all of this and the department wanted him.

3 Likes

@CCName1 you are so right. The regret factor is probably going to be the deciding factor in this instance! Thank you for sharing that story, and for illustrating the importance of the “what ifs”

2 Likes

Could you revisit all three this summer to make sure he feels the same? It will be different without a full session of students there, but at least if he feels the same after revisits, you will have more peace about him possibly making a riskier ED choice.

I agree that one should only ED to his/her top choice school (and only if that school appears affordable). The last thing you want is to have any tinge of regret about an ED acceptance and wonder “what if”. It is a positive that both Wes and Vassar offer ED2.

There is still plenty of time for your S to weigh his top options. Let the recent visit to Hamilton settle down in his mind and he may better be able to compare the choices after a bit of time passes.

FWIW my D was also interested in applying ED to a LAC (she had different group of schools). We re-visited her top two options in the early fall (one school arranged for her to shadow a student for a day) and she interviewed at the two schools. After those experiences her ED choice became clear. I’m not sure if a re-visit or shadowing is possible for your S in the fall but if it can be arranged logistically it may be a good use of time and energy.

2 Likes

I agree with this. If the “wow” factor involves a passion of his or a future avocation, I would definitely advise telegraphing that in any way possible. Colleges love demonstrations of a working knowledge of their best programs.

1 Like

You could potentially find a host for the afternoon if your son emails admissions or a professor and asking whether a student in a program or activity he’s interested in would meet with him.

My daughter did this and got to go out for a practice with a club sport. They also had “shadow a student” for half a day. My son contacted a professor who put him in contact with a student in an academic program he’s interested in. The student spent 2.5 hours with my son!

These experiences were great to get a sense for fit before ED. I also recommend taking another tour because they’re all different and you’ll meet another guide. Also, go on a weekend when your student’s EC has something going on that he can attend, like a show, game, meet, exhibition etc.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that the increase in acceptance rates for ED at highly selective LACs is in part because recruited athletes (and other students that fall into specific institutional priority buckets) are brought in during ED. I would take a look at the school athletic department website to get an idea for the number of incoming freshman athletes. Then look at the actual numbers for applied and accepted in ED on the Common Data Set for that school. If you strip out the athletes, is the ED bump as pronounced?
I say this to underscore what others have said . . . apply ED1 to your favorite school (assuming you can afford it and it is an least a possible reach). Don’t try to game the publicly available stats because the stats are flawed.

5 Likes

@helpingthekid73 he is a television/film actor who does not care for the stage and is not interested in majoring in acting

So, when he “dreams big” what is he doing in that dream for the next four years?

@circuitrider He hope to attend a SLAC with an open curriculum that allows him to pursue classes in diverse areas of interest like philosophy and mathematics, work towards a degree in an as-yet-determined major in the humanities (loves to read and write), study multiple foreign languages, pursue a semester abroad, and enjoy a close relationship with inspiring professors.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter, this is a true spike if he is a professional actor. It will help him more than anything else, esp if he has been on anything well known.

6 Likes

All those things suggest a Hamilton person to me. I know this sounds like a trope, but IME the Wesleyan University and Vassar kids come across as just a little bit spikier (if, that’s a word. LOL)

2 Likes

I think it was sour grapes, frankly.

@Tana98 He should only ED to his top choice. I guarantee you that after summer, he will have solidified his feelings about these three schools. He may like another contender even better by the time he applies. The thing he should not do is apply simply because he thinks it will improve his odds of getting in.

He has plenty of time between now and applications to do more research into each of these schools. He seems to have solid reasons for all, and he is clearly a capable young man. Give him a few months to do his homework and settle into a more solid list. Usually, one rises to the top.

7 Likes

If we’re adding above the top 3 ED, you might look at Kalamazoo as a safety - their English department has a writing based opportunity and their curriculum is open - and the merit is great.

I see a lot of big names of course - but one always needs a safety. It’s a fine one.

But i’m of the camp that you only ED if you’ve been (you have) and you go for the one you want (Hamilton) - and then let Vassar Wesleyan go as your backup and the third RD.

Best of luck.

It never occurred to me that anyone should ask the schools. Surely there is someone from his high school or town who is currently a student there, or a friend’s child who is there, or possibly a connection that he could make through a religious org, or a club, or a particular field of interest, so that he can make an informal, under the radar visit to get a better idea of student life there.

If he is interested in studying foreign languages, he should probably consider adding Middlebury to his RD list.

5 Likes