Where to go in early July that isn't hot and muggy

What? best BEST pun!:rofl:

1 Like

If you are willing to go out of the country I recommend Scotland. We’ve been there twice for heatwaves - which meant it was in the 70s!

3 Likes

New Hampshire, Maine, or Vermont. Beautiful in the summer and not humid or very hot. If your family likes hiking and the like, northern NH is gorgeous. For a beach vacation…southern Maine.

8 Likes

If you’re up for international adventures, then Ecuador is fabulous. The eastern third is the Amazon (which, at least in primary forested areas, is not hot and humid). The middle third is the Andes mountains, which has great hiking and water rafting, but also has colonial cities like Quito and Cuenca, and the huge market town of Otavalo (which also is where the equator runs through). The western third is the coastline, and if your family is inclined, could go to the Galapagos Islands. If you’re not as interested in going that far from the continent, then there’s the poor man’s Galapogos (Isla de la Plata, I think) which still has animals like the blue-footed boobies. Ecuador is a delightful place and there isn’t a need for foreign exchange…their currency is the USD.

1 Like

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked into going to Scotland! lol One of these days…

As I was looking into the Montreal idea, it looks like flying into Burlington would be one option if I wanted to stick with renting a car from a US location. So I’m thinking maybe spend a day or two there before driving north as part of the itinerary.

Northern Michigan is amazing in early July. Unless you got our 1 week of humid weather. Sleeping Bear Dunes (traverse City) or Petosky area are 2 places I like.

It’s definitely not too early to be booking something

9 Likes

Maine

3 Likes

Not in July though. Too buggy, especially in the Highlands. Mid May through early June is ideal, late September isn’t bad.

1 Like

The midges are a force of nature.

I have spent many summers in Scotland and the rain easily wins as a vacation ruiner over the wee beasties.

SSSSSSHHHHHHH!!! :shushing_face:

^^^^Definitely this.

1 Like

Now I’ve spent 20 years in California that’s probably true. When I was growing up in England I was much more used to taking the rain in stride. Still remember climbing various Munros in a downpour and thick cloud. But at least we could say we got to the top. There are better places to visit in the UK in July and August, even the Lake District is much less buggy.

Maine is glorious that time of year. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Traverse City and Mackinaw are pretty nice in the summer.

4 Likes

Alaska is one of three of places we’ve returned to vacation a second time (Paris, Hawaii).

If you enjoy the outdoors, flying into Anchorage and renting a car for 10 days is about the best trip I can recommend.

2 Likes

We were in Iceland in July and it was amazing.

For domestic, another vote for northern Michigan and the U.P.

2 Likes

I second QC. We were there in August 2017 and the weather was outstanding. Sunny, dry and warm during the day and long pants and jacket weather at night,

+1’ing to the suggestions of:
Canada (Montreal, Toronto, Quebec - depending what you’re looking for and how much time you have you could do a nice visiting/driving tour around Quebec/Ontario - you do feel like you’re in another country - which you are!)

Michigan - anywhere on Lake Michigan or the Traverse Bay area. If you did the Southwestern area (beautiful little towns along the lake - beachy, artsy) Chicago is within a 2 hour drive for a mid week big city break.

Sort of hard to NOT have hot/humid in July! You just don’t know what you might get.

Chicago has many outdoor events during the summer - food fairs, street fairs, juried art festivals, music, etc. Of course, Chicago has wonderful museums, restaurants, architectural tours, and a thriving theater scene.

I wouldn’t go to Chicago in August, but it should not be too hot and muggy in early July.

1 Like

We lived in Colorado for 3 years and the summers there are amazing! Warm but not terribly hot and not humid. There is plenty to do.

3 Likes