Where to stay?

My son is a junior interested in the University of Miami. I’m thinking of taking him to visit over spring break. We live in CA and would like to spend a couple of days exploring the area. I’m not familiar with the area at all though. Where would be a good place for us to stay? Preferably on a beach. Thanks!

This is high season in Miami and rates are high. Miami Beach is great, but not super close to the university.

If you want to stay near the []_[] and are willing to drive 15-20 minutes to the beach, then check out Hotwire…a 4-star often ends up at the Hyatt Colonnade or Regency. In Coconut Grove, you will most likely end up at the Mayfair.

The Biltmore Hotel is not near the beach, but is super close to the campus in Coral Gables and is very nice. Other hotels might be the Hampton Inn Dadeland or the Aloft Dadeland.

Truly, it’s tough to beat the excitement and buzz of the hotels on South Beach, but the Ritz Carlton on Key Biscayne is wonderful and relaxing.

We just booked Hampton Dadeland. Rates are SUPER high during spring break season. It’s crazy.

My son attended the U for six years. When we went to visit, we always stayed at the Mutiny Hotel in Coconut Grove. All rooms are suites and there is a restaurant on site. I echo other’s comments about South Beach Hotels. Sure they are nice, such as the Fountainbleau or Eden Roc or any of a dozen others on Collins Avenue, but South Beach is not convenient to Coral Gables and the U. Traffic getting to and from South Beach is a nightmare at the best of times, and I can only imagine how bad it is during spring break. There are nice beaches on Key Biscayne and you cna get from Key Biscayne to the U without having to drive on Highway 1.

Thank you everyone! It didn’t occur to me that it would be super busy over spring break but makes sense. I think we’ll brave it. We’re coming from CA and I’d rather go in April than over the summer!

@Marcie123 if you’re interested in South Beach and like boutique hotels, we had a great stay here - https://www.urbanicathehotels.com/the-meridian/