Whether or not to include SAT/ACT score in UC application

Hello,

I know UC admissions do not consider SAT/ACT scores for this year’s admission. My question is how come there is still a section to put SAT/SAT scores in their application? What does test blind mean? Although applicants put their SAT/ACT scores in their applications, the admission people can’t even see (access to ) the scores?

My son’s score is good (over 1500) and he wanted to include it in his application but we suggested not since we are not sure if his score is good for the major he is applying for and UCs say they don’t consider test scores.

Would it be better to just add it in his application anyway? He has already submitted his application but he says he could still add it since UC application deadline is today.

Please advise - thanks!

This year has been very challenging in regard to navigating what/who/where test scores should or should not go. Our son applied to UC and he put his scores on the application. He also sent scores directly from College Board. As I see it, if the score is above average for the school they are applying to it can’t hurt. With a 1500 I’d include it. Others may feel differently.

Admissions won’t see the scores.

UC’s test policy for Fall 2021:
UC will not consider SAT or ACT test scores when making admissions decisions or awarding Regents and Chancellor’s scholarships. If you choose to submit test scores as part of your application, they may be used to determine your eligibility for the California statewide admissions guarantee, as an alternative method of fulfilling minimum requirements for eligibility or for course placement after you enroll.

Submitting competitive scores can only help but just not with admissions.

If you are in the State of CA, it helps to determine if he’s too 9% ELC (guarantee in a UC) and they referenced class level placements. We submitted my son’s ACT to be sent to the College Board (he had listed two when he took his ACT) and self reported. They will ask you to send official score one accepted.

We submitted SAT scores for the reasons stated above.

Yes…it really does remain unclear. What @Gumbymom said above is their official position and as mentioned there are reasons to turn in good scores if you have them. I think when folks say “they won’t see them” it’s kind of nonsense. They may not use them, they may be told not to consider them but the scores are in the admissions file. To be clear I’m not saying they figure in admission but there is no way sending good scores hurts.

SAT or ACT scores may be used for non-admission purposes if you are admitted and matriculate. For example, they are two of the ways to fulfill the entry level writing requirement (to avoid having to take remedial English courses):

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/elwr/requirements/test-scores-grades.html

Many people in the UC system disagree that ACT/SAT scores measure academic competence and hence won’t be impressed by high scores. However, I don’t know anyone who would tell a high-scoring student to omit the scores just because the admissions officer MIGHT not care about them. You have little to lose by reporting the scores and then hoping for the best, though if you think UC is off the mark in how it views ACT/SAT scores then you might consider applying to other places that would be more sympathetic to your outlook on that.

1 Like

My son attended the UC Berkeley Admissions virtual session back in October and I listened in. The officer presenting said that if you submit test scores in the application, the scores would not be visible to the UCB readers. My impression is that back in early Fall, different campuses were still deciding whether to consider test scores or not, so it makes sense the application would still ask for test scores and there would be some back-end process to remove or leave intact test scores depending on final campus decision.

The system prevents AOs from seeing the scores. Submit or don’t submit, but don’t expect high scores to boost your application. Calling it “nonsense” is, well, nonsense.

I actually said I don’t believe they figure in the admission decision. I said they can’t hurt. I wasnt trying to start a fight and apologize if I came off like that. The reason I made that comment is because we had a zoom meeting with an admissions officer at another school that is test blind regarding merit aid. During that meeting the AO pulled up my sons admissions file, his test scores were right there on the e-file. Again I don’t think these are being used but I do believe the idea that they are locked away behind a fire wall is probably unlikely. Again just sharing my experience.

This is an interesting example…can you share at which test blind school the AO could see scores?