Which bio major?

<p>I'm looking to transfer to UW Madison for the upcoming spring 2014 semester and I have a general question about which college I should apply to. I'm looking to major in Biology and perhaps peruse medicine. I noticed that both the College of Letters and Science and the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences have separate Biology programs. What are some similarities and differences between them? Which one should someone interested in going into medicine (maybe pursuing genetics) apply to?</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>MG</p>

<p>Also recently realized that my ACT scores are too old to qualify for Fall 2014. App is due February 2014 and I took the ACT February 2009. I believe I’m screwed…</p>

<p>ACT scores don’t appear to be required for transfers (See Item #6 below):</p>

<p>TRANSFER APPLICATION MATERIALS</p>

<p>You may submit an application as early as September, but take note of our deadlines and notification periods. Submit the following to apply:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Admissions Application
The online application allows you to save your work as you complete it, and ensures secure delivery to our office.</p></li>
<li><p>Application Fee
The nonrefundable $44 application fee must accompany your application. Online applicants can pay the fee by credit card at the time of submission. If your last institution attended is one of the two-year University of Wisconsin Colleges, you do not have to pay the $44 application fee. In cases of exceptional need, the fee may be waived. Students should print the Application Fee Waiver Request (PDF, 605K) and take it to their transfer/college advisor.</p></li>
<li><p>Official Transcripts</p></li>
</ol>

<p>High School: We require official high school transcripts which need to be sent to us by your high school. We review the high school record to check for proof of graduation, the completion of core high school preparation requirements, and to learn more about your educational background. High school grades will play a more important role in the admission review for applicants who have completed fewer transferable college credits. If you have earned your General Educational Development (GED) certificate or a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), you will need to submit your official score report in addition to the high school transcript.</p>

<p>College: Request official transcripts from your high school and all post-secondary institutions The transcripts should include all college-level course work completed to date, including your current term in progress, and (if applicable) college classes taken during in high school.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Two Written Statements
We ask you to answer the following two questions, each in the form of a short essay. Review our list of tips for the written statements as you prepare your responses. Both are required for all domestic and international applicants.</p></li>
<li><p>Consider something in your life you think goes unnoticed and write about why it’s important to you.</p></li>
<li><p>Tell us why you decided to apply to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition, share with us the academic, extracurricular, or research opportunities you would take advantage of as a student. If applicable, provide details of any circumstance that could have had an impact on your academic performance and/or extracurricular involvement.</p></li>
<li><p>Letter(s) of Recommendation
Though not required, we would like to see at least one recommendation from someone who can attest to your collegiate academic ability. Other recommendations might come from an employer, coach, research mentor, or community leader. Remember that quality is better than quantity, and a total of two is sufficient. Request that your recommenders use our online recommendation form. If they choose to mail them to our office, make sure they include your full name, birth date, and campus ID number (if known).</p></li>
<li><p>Test Scores (Optional)
Scores from either the ACT Plus Writing or the SAT are not required, but if they are submitted, will be considered. If you choose to submit your test scores, request that they are sent directly from the testing service. Our test code for the ACT is 4656, and for the SAT it is 1846.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Here is a link to Pre-health advising:</p>

<p>[University</a> of Wisconsin Madison | Center for Pre-Health Advising](<a href=“http://www.prehealth.wisc.edu/]University”>http://www.prehealth.wisc.edu/)</p>

<p>Genetics is officially part of the Ag College. There are other subtle advantages to being part of that college. More fin aid, better advising, placement office etc. Med School advising is available to all thru a central office as noted above.</p>

<p>“better advising”- it all depends on your major and who your advisor is. UW offers more than just a general biology major, there are many variations including zoology, microbiology, molecular biology, botany- you can check the complete list of majors on the UW website. You need to look at the4 various majors and decide which one requires the courses you are most interested in. Then you need to figure out if the Ag school or L&S graduation requirements best suit you if the major you want is in both. All of this is easily done on the UW website.</p>

<p>Premed is an intention- you can major in anything you want to as long as you take the required courses for medical school admissions. Do be sure to choose the major you could use if you change your mind about medical school or do not get in. Have a plan B with potential for a job or grad school in mind.</p>

<p>A good Honors sequence requiring Organic chemistry is the Biocore sequence- check it out on the UW website.</p>

<p>Really appreciate the help guys!</p>

<p>Also have another question for those of you with experience. I’m transferring from Harold Washington College in Chicago. Right now I have a 4.0 gpa and i’m guessing that it’ll be around a 3.8 after second semester (maybe a 4.0). My question is whether I should submit my ACT scores or not. It isn’t required for transfer apps. I got a pretty low score of 24 and I’m wondering what would look better; to send in a low score of 24 or to not submit a score at all?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t submit it… I got a 23 and I’m really happy Madison doesn’t require ACT for transfers. That’s just my opinion though.</p>

<p>That’s a community college?</p>

<p>Which Bio majors would be considered a B.A. and which one a B.S. major?</p>

<p>It doesn’t matter. You can get either in L&S regardless of your major. The BA and BS degrees are dependent on meeting course requirements for the one you choose. For example, a BA degree requires more foreign language than the BS degree (HS courses count for this). Eons ago I chose a BA in Chemistry because I liked the white tassel better than the yellow one- I had met both degrees’ requirements. It did not matter at all for my medical school, either. You would have to check on other schools/colleges for the degrees they offer; they also will have different degree requirements than L&S. There are some requirements common to all schools and colleges.</p>

<p>Link to UW-Madison College of Letters & Science: B.A. and B.S. degree requirements:</p>

<p><a href=“Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison”>Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison;