Which dorm?

<p>I was at Purdue during the '08-'09 school year and was put in McCutcheon simply because I had applied so late. I had to take a break this year because I didn't have the money to go. I got the financial aid to go again.</p>

<p>My question is, which dorm should I apply for if there is room. I should be able to get into the system tomorrow sometime to apply for a dorm, but I'm not completely sure which I should apply for. I'll be a sophomore, and I'm looking at Hillenbrand, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it.</p>

<p>I will have $18,819 in financial aid along with $2,500 work study. So I'll have about $12,775 to spend on housing, books, and any other miscellaneous expenses I might have. </p>

<p>I'm asking, because I really haven't had much experience with the other dorms besides McCutcheon. I had friends in Shreve and Harrrson, so I am somewhat familiar with them, but not totally.</p>

<p>Any suggestions? The woman I called at Smalley suggested Hawkins Hall for me, but she said that it was overbooked, so I think it would be out of the question.</p>

<p>if there are open spots i would pick hillenbrand, shreve, earhart or cary suites. just my opinion though, they all have there advantages.</p>

<p>Are you even of age to live in Hawkins? Getting Cary Suite will cost around $9600 with a Block Plan, I’m sure Hillenbrand will be around the same as well. Upperclassmen Hilltop isn’t bad at all either. If you want to save a good amount of money then go to Owen and get a 12 Meal Plan.</p>

<p>Isn’t Shreve and Earhart mainly for freshmen? I wouldn’t mind Shreve. From what I’ve seen, it’s pretty nice.</p>

<p>Well, yeah. I’m 23. I don’t think she would have suggested it if I couldn’t live there. How is Owen in comparison to McCutcheon, do you know? I’ve never been in there before, so I can’t tell what it would be like. I actually want to live somewhere nice next year. McCutcheon was okay, but it did definitely need work.</p>

<p>Well Owen’s room isn’t great when you compare it to McCutcheon. McCutcheon to be honest is one of the best dorms which are not suites that Purdue offers along with Earhart, Shreve, and Harrison. I’ve never lived in Shreve but I lived in Earhart for 5 weeks during the summer and it’s pretty nice. Pretty much the same as McCutcheon but a better lobby, laundry room, and they have shelves next to your bed. If you want to live somewhere nice but not filled with freshmen then apply for Hillenbrand or Cary Suites. I hear Cary Suites is hard to get right now if you don’t have a roommate who already applied for it. I’m re-entering Purdue too this fall but I have a friend who applied for Suites already so I’m in luck.</p>

<p>Thanks. I’ll just have to wait until I can apply for housing tomorrow and see what’s available.</p>

<p>I don’t think I can apply to Cary. It’s all male, right?</p>

<p>yeah cary and tarkington are all male. windsor is all female and the rest are coed. i would recommend windsor mainly because there are alot of upperclassmen that still live there, so it’s not strictly a freshman dorm. or hillenbrand, which is expensive but is upperclassmen too. anything else is probably going to be mainly occupied with a lot of incoming freshmen.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I was thinking Windsor or Hillenbrand. Both sound like good choices.</p>

<p>I believe there are different areas in Windsor and one of them was REALLY nice… Recall one of my friends talking about it. You should try to find out more on it.</p>