Which is better: transfer from UC to UC or CC to UC?

If I don’t get into my dream schools such as UC Berkeley or LA, but get accepted to lower tier UC’s, would it be better to transfer from a UC or a California community college? I need some compelling reasons.

is saving $$ a compelling enough reason?
Going to a CC first will Save you BIG BUCKS in what it will cost you overall to earn a UG degree.

CC to UC transfers have the highest priority among transfer applicants. UC to UC transfers have a lower priority and are harder to get. On top of that, from a CC you can use TAG to guarantee admission to one campus, provided you fulfill the posted requirements. Note that UCLA and Cal don’t have TAG agreements, so you can’t do that for either of those two campuses. However, you can TAG to a UC that offers it (that you wouldn’t mind going to) so you at least have a guaranteed transfer school in case you don’t get into your other choices.

If you’re dead set on a particular campus (or a few) and don’t get in as a freshman, your absolute best bet is to go to a CC and transfer. Use TAG if you can, if nothing else because it gives you a safety campus. Plus you’re saving money at the CC as @menloparkmom mentioned.

Just understand - transfer admission into these schools is every bit as competitive as freshman admission. You’ll have to distinguish yourself at the CC (3.7 GPA and some ECs) to make it …

Good luck

Also its easier to get good grades at a CC than most UCs, so its easier for you to get into a top tier UC. CC is almost like an extension of highschool…