Which nursing program is better (Georgetown, umich, Boston college, UW-Seattle)

Just curious what people think has a better UNDERGRADUATE nursing program. U.S world news reports on graduate programs, but I haven’t seen undergraduate.
I’m just curious to hear what people think :slight_smile:

Bump

Did you get into all those or considering applying?

i think they are all great and would choose the area where you might want to reside after college. Also the weather is very different and the cities as well. Umich is prop the biggest school and most severe weather. I love Seattle, Boston, Georgetown area. Life in each city is very different. Ive been to MI but not the area where the school is.

I don’t know details about each program.

Unless you are independently wealthy or eligible for substantial aid, I would carefully consider the net cost of those programs. Remember that the average starting salary of a RN who graduated from Georgetown probably would be the same as the average starting salary of a RN from Directional State University.

Most public universities that are popular (such as U. Michigan) are extremely expensive out of state. U. Michigan does not provide much aid for most out of state students. Boston College probably provides substantial need-based aid.

I agree with the above. And don’t get into debt.

There is nothing wrong with taking out subsidized federal student loans to pay for a college degree that will be useful (such as nursing). The average student can take out $19,000 of subsidized Stafford loans and $8,000 of unsubsidized Stafford loans over 4 years. You have 10 years to complete the payments, which can be extended while you are in grad school at least half-time.

However, if a college will require use of additional loans with much higher interest rates, such as PLUS and private loans, it should be avoided. Ideally, PLUS loans would be used only the event of an emergency.

Too many parents sacrifice their own retirement savings and take on parental debt late in their work life in order to send their kids to over-priced colleges.

Nursing is a very difficult and time consuming major at any college. There is something to be said about avoiding a college where ALL of your non-nursing classes will also be extremely difficult and time-consuming. At Georgetown or Boston College, probably all of your classes will be highly competitive and demanding.

In comparison, at Directional State University, your non-nursing classes may be much less stressful, which allows you to concentrate on doing well in your science and nursing classes, and preparing to pass the certification exam, and still having time for a social life. I think my daughter has spent 80 percent of her time and effort on her nursing and science classes and clinicals, and 20 percent of her time on her other classes. For instance, her required college math class was entirely comprised of material she learned in standard high school classes. For her first two years (before clinicals started in earnest), she had time to play a varsity sport.

@Charliesch thank you so much! I am very appreciative of all the awesome info you have given me!

Out of curiosity, where does/did your daughter attend? @Charliesch

York college of Pa.