Which program to better boost my ED chances?

Hey all, I’m another stressed out senior who’s planning to apply ED to northeastern. My friends told me if I put NU.in as my first choice then that’ll help me out a lot. But on commonapp there’s an option to select “any campus” and was wondering if that would make my chances better.

Thanks to everyone who took the time who read my post!

Well - are you so wanting to go to NEU that you’d go to any campus?

For example, if you want to be in Boston, then why would you apply to Oakland? Are you willing to go to Oakland just to get the NEU diploma?

These are the kind of questions I’d ask myself.

It’s kind of like Emory and Oxford. Applying to both gives you a better chance but my daughter wasn’t interested in Oxford, so she applied only to Emory.

Good luck

4 Likes

I’m fine with either since I’d end up in Boston anyways. Additionally, I have close friends who’s applying to both NU.in and Oakland, so I’d be happy wherever.

1 Like

Just know if you ED any campus, the odds are better you’ll get another campus. It’s not as easy for them to fill the others. And some are four year campuses I believe - but NUIN is different.

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

That may not necessarily happen. Last year many were admitted to Oakland for all four years (even those who only selected Boston). Keep that in mind.

Also: NEU admits students to other campuses even if they select “only Boston”, but then their ED acceptance is not binding. But if you select “any campus”, then your ED acceptance is binding.

9 Likes

Last year was the first year for Oakland and the admissions process ended up becoming “fluid”. I believe those initially offered Oakland for four years had their decision switched to freshman year only in Oakland then Boston.

I’ve heard bad things about Oakland. (Reddit thread says it’s a nightmare). If you apply ED just to Boston, it seems like you are likely to be offered Oakland. I understand it’s non-binding, but if the offer is for four years in Oakland with no option to transfer ever, that’s being offered admission to a completely different school for your ED. I get that it’s nonbinding, but it was your ED. This is weird, right?

1 Like

In that case, it means NU otherwise is rejecting your admission to NU Boston and you move on to other college choices….by offering Oakland, NU is at least providing an option for college to your student. It’s their choice to accept it or not at that point.

1 Like

I wonder if this will deter people from applying ED? My DD will try for ED2 at NEU, if she doesn’t get her ED1. But I sort of feel like it’s a wasted ED. If she doesn’t get into Boston, she might consider 1-2 semesters in Oakland but no way for 4 years. And since it’s ED, it wouldn’t be binding. Also, in the common app you are required to put in 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice.

Nothign is wasted.

If you want something, you go for it. ED is not a guarantee - but may give you better odds - so if you truly want it and are willing to pay full (or the NPC), then you can go for it.

If you get turned down, it doesn’t mean it’s wasted…at all.

1 Like

NU does not seem to be for want of ED or any type of applicants with 92,000 applying for approx 4,000 spaces overall (inc alt entry programs and 2,800 Boston admits).

If NU is indeed your child’s second choice and they are not accepted to #1, then it is not wasted to apply to ED2…applying ED gives your child a better chance than those who cannot (for various reasons commit to ED.) No decision is guaranteed and far more students apply ED than can be accepted. You make your best case and go from there.
These preferences are new as of last year bc they started offering the London and Oakland campuses as full time enrollment options (3 and 4 years.) the preferences are just options. only your first choice is binding (I saw one parent on here where their student was choosing London as his first choice for instance bc they want to get their degree abroad.)

They have always asked if a student is interested in NUIN (non binding) and have offered that many times even when they said they were not interested. It is a way in to NU for students who really want to go to the school and there are many…It is up to the student to either choose that option or just accept it as a denial of admission. These other programs are just a way of accommodation more students seeking an NU education.

Both of my D’s graduated BS/MS from NU (2017 and 2022) and it was a phenomenal experience for both on so many levels. However, this type of learning and non-traditional college experience is not for everyone.

1 Like