Which schools allow switch to ED2 after EA deferral

We applied EA to Tulane and during a recent campus visit learned that their EA decision release date is 5 days before the ED2 application deadline. So EA applicants who are deferred have the option to convert to ED2. I have not heard this from other schools my D24 applied to and wondered how common it is. One challenge with the Tulane EA to ED2 opportunity is that their EA decision date is Jan 10, which is too late to switch to ED2 at (most) schools OTHER than Tulane.

I’m wondering which other schools allow deferred EA applicants to switch to ED2? Kind of too late for this year if we haven’t already applied EA, but I have younger kids too and will go through this again in the future. :slight_smile:

U Chicago and Villanova

2 Likes

Thank you! So I see that U Chicago EA decision date is mid December and ED2 application deadline is early January. That makes sense. For Villanova, the EA decision date is Jan 20 and the ED2 application deadline is Jan 15. How does that work?

This is obviously a tangent so I will keep this brief, but I am not at all sure that is true. Even if the college’s ED 2 deadline has passed, if interested I would suggest reaching out and asking to convert your application to ED 2.

This probably won’t work if it is too close to the ED 2 notification date. But otherwise, ED 2 is so much in their favor, they may well have no problem converting.

1 Like

From their website:

Our deadline for deferred Early Action candidates or students who previously selected Regular Decision as their application plan to change to Early Decision II is January 31 .

https://www1.villanova.edu/university/undergraduate-admission/applying-to-villanova/dates-and-deadlines.html

IIRC Richmond used to allow this too, but I don’t see anything on the website. Worth a call for anyone who may be interested at that point in time.

Meant to tag @TXNovaS

2 Likes

Case Western Reserve University

1 Like

I get that a school might have a more lenient deadline for their own EA applicants to switch to ED2. I was thinking more of the scenario where an applicant is deferred EA at one school and may then decide to ED2 at a different school. In general that seems like it would only work if the EA decision comes out before the other school’s ED2 deadline. So, say someone is deferred EA Tulane on Jan 10th and then decides to ED2 at Villanova before their deadline on Jan 15th…seems like that would work too. But it seems like a lot of schools have EA decisions after the ED2 deadline, which I guess is too late to switch to ED2 somewhere else. I realize this is pretty specific. Just curious…and the waiting game is making me antsy.

1 Like

At least my interpretation of Villanova’s policy is they are fine with you converting RD to ED II up to January 31. So presumably you could do EA to Tulane and RD to Villanova, then convert RD to ED II at Villanova up to January 31.

I don’t know if many colleges are as explicit about this as Villanova. But purely anecdotally, I have heard several stories of people converting RD to ED II at other colleges after hearing from their ED I/REA/SCEA college.

This all makes sense because again such conversions are generally one-sided in favor of the college. Obviously they need time to complete the process, but assuming you already got an RD application submitted, it probably is going through the initial processing phases anyway. So, all they have to do is kick it into the ED II side of things to get an actual decision. And apparently Villanova has decided they can kick it over as late as January 31 and still have time to meet the ED II decision date of February 15.

So absent actually knowing you are past such a deadline, it doesn’t seem to me like it would hurt to ask.

1 Like

I like your answer. It doesn’t hurt to ask I guess. My D24 already submitted an ED1 and she submitted EA to Tulane. If she doesn’t get her ED1 (I think she probably won’t, but hey you gotta try!) AND if she gets deferred Tulane EA she may well want to swtich to ED2 at Tulane, which would work. But she’s not sure on ED2 yet. And all her other reach schools have ED2 deadlines of Jan 1st-5th. So, if she doesn’t want to ED2 at Tulane she may be out of luck. But…maybe if she wants to ED2 at a school with a deadline in early January and she calls them on Jan 10th…just maybe they will consider allowing it. So much up in the air right now. Just playing out all the scenarios in my head. I should go for a run.

2 Likes

Northeastern. In fact, they will actively encourage switching from EA to ED2.
For unhooked applicants, not switching is pretty much a guaranteed rejection or waitlist spot.

3 Likes

So Northeastern is a good example of the conundrum I’m talking about. They notify EA on Feb 15th, which is way past the ED2 deadline for any school (including Northeastern). So while they may allow or encourage you to switch your Northeastern app to ED2, it would almost certainly be too late to switch to ED2 anywhere else. In fact most of the schools we are applying to have ED2 notification dates of Feb 15.

There are very few schools that offer EA as well as ED1 and ED2. If such a school is ready to accept a student in EA but are hesitating only due to yield concerns, I’m guessing they will reach out and encourage the student to commit.

1 Like

Most of the schools my D applied to offer both EA and ED1 and ED2. I guess we just know how to pick them.

1 Like

Indeed @DadOfJerseyGirl and, I think, for some colleges, the “switch to ED2” institutional nudge is a big, big part of the dance (cough, cough, TULANE, cough…)

1 Like

Colgate and Bates allow applicants to convert their RD apps to ED2 until February 1st. These schools are clearly aware that some kids are waiting on EA results to come end of January.

2 Likes

Agree, though just make sure she submits RD at their deadline (which is often the same as their ED2 deadline).

1 Like

Now that you mention it, there are a few colleges that do have earlier ED II than RD deadlines. They might still be fine with a timely conversion request, but I suppose you might want to watch out for those cases, and maybe even think about submitting RD by the ED II deadline just in case it makes a difference.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Are any among the Jan 1-ish RD schools? The handful I looked at were the same for ED2 and RD.

When our older was deferred from UChicago EA four years ago, we were left with a similar impression based on the subtle hint in their decision letter.

Having been accepted to Caltech and MIT a few days prior, he simply withdrew his UChicago app so as not to give them the satisfaction.

We then learned that Nondorf previously got himself on record bragging to newly admitted students that fewer than 1% of EA-deferred students are admitted in RD.

Some schools that encourage this are also known for merit, and they need to monitor yield on that group very carefully to stay within budget.

As a result, they’ll defer decent candidates because they can’t risk having too many say yes. But if they know they are committed, they can count on that kid showing up.

Iirc, Tulane offers merit so may be doing this to manage certainty.

(Sorry, posted this in wrong thread originally!)