Which schools did you turn down for Bama?

<p>^^</p>

<p>Exactly. Sure, 200-something students received the National Merit package or greater last year, but many, many more pay half to full tuition.</p>

<p>Ok- that makes sense then- I thought alot of folks were all getting scholarships!!</p>

<p>The people here on CC don’t usually represent the average student. Last fall there were a total of 180 NMF, NA, NH, Academic Elite, & Crimson Scholars.</p>

<p>M2CK: Do I remember correctly that you thought there would be a bigger group of NMFs this year? Any idea of the numbers?</p>

<p>I think the number of students who received some type of scholarship last fall was well over 200, when one considers all of the various types of partial, and full scholarships offered by UA.</p>

<p>I don’t know what the numbers are yet for the incoming NMFs for the freshmen class. I’m not sure the school knows yet, since some would have just made their decisions on Saturday. </p>

<p>The people who would probably know are those in Housing since they have to have spaces for the NMFs/NAs/NHs.</p>

<p>*I think the number of students who received some type of scholarship last fall was well over 200, when one considers all of the various types of partial, and full scholarships offered by UA. *</p>

<p>Oh, very true. Bama gave away nearly 500 Presidential scholarships (that includes the nearly 200 national students). This helped increase the average ACT score by .6 point in one year. That’s a significant increase. For some odd reason, the avg SAT score is not included. I imagine that that avg has also increased.</p>

<p>A .6 increase on the ACT may not seem like much, but it puts the average ACT at almost the 80th percentile…which is good for a state school that is also increasing enrollment. </p>

<p>Some might criticize Bama for continuing to take some instate kids with lowish scores, but Bama is committed to offer enrollment to kids who may not have had an adequate K-12 education in some of the more rural parts of the state. If the kids show promise - such as having a 3.0+ GPA - that can compensate for a low test score, because it indicates that the students are willing to do what’s asked of them. </p>

<p>Bama saw significant increases in its honors college enrollment from states such as Calif, VA, PA, FL, MS, LA, Wash DC, Mich, GA, New Jersey, TN, Indiana, Ohio, and Texas. (Somehow our dear SEA_Tide got left off the count!!! ) </p>

<p>Significant increases in states that are not contiguous to the State, are very important. I don’t have the breakdown for non-honors students, so I don’t know how they are distributed. Bama does recruit athletes from all over so, that also helps with the diversity of states. </p>

<p>Right now, 30% of the entire school is from outside of Alabama. Over 3,100 are from states that don’t touch Alabama. That number will increase this fall because the current graduating class doesn’t have as many non-contiguous state residents.</p>

<p>Daughter, 2 years ago turned down:</p>

<p>UNC Chapel Hill
Wake Forest
Appalachian State (Safe School)</p>

<p>Son, for this coming fall turned down:</p>

<p>Wingate
Furman
Washington and Lee
Clemson
Hanover
Sewanee
Rhodes
East Carolina (Safe School)</p>

<p>Vanderbilt (waitlisted)</p>

<p>Duke (was not accepted)</p>

<p>My son turned down the following colleges: I am including scholarship information and other information so that this might be useful to future students.
St John’s University: Presidential Scholarship 31,250 year (full tuition) + computer
-Honor’s Program</p>

<p>Loyola University New Orleans: Dean’s Scholarship 21,000 year </p>

<p>Tulane University: Academic Merit Scholarship 22,000 year
-Tulane University Honors Program</p>

<p>Fordham University -Rose Hill: Fordham Dean’s Scholarship 20,800 (27,000 applicants)</p>

<p>Auburn University: Academic Presidential Scholarship 19,452 year (full tuition)
+1,500 technology allowance + 4,000 Stipend +COSAM Scholarship 2,000 yr</p>

<p>SUNY Binghamton</p>

<p>SUNY Geneseo:
-Invited to apply to Edgar Fellows Program 2,000 year (declined)</p>

<p>Stony Brook University Presidential Scholarship 3,500 year
- Stony Brook Honors (3,300 applicants, 60 accepted)</p>

<p>University of Pittsburgh: Academic Scholarship 10,000 year
-University Honors College </p>

<p>University of North Carolina -Chapel Hill:</p>

<p>Roanoke College: RC Achievement Award 1,000 yr + RC Scholarship 13,500
-Selected to participate in Roanoke Scholarship competition (declined)</p>

<p>University of Maryland –College Park: President’s Scholarship 12,000 year (increased annually)
-Invited to participate in the Catalyst Seminar
-Awarded Gemstone Honors Program</p>

<p>and the winner is:
University of Alabama –Tuscaloosa: Presidential Scholarship 19,200 year (full tuition)<br>
-University Honors Program
-International Honors Program
-Computer Based Honors Program<br>
Roll Tide Roll</p>

<p>Mom, </p>

<p>That is good news about the ACT score. Actually, that is a significant improvement. Where did you get the info?</p>

<p><a href=“http://oira.ua.edu/factbook/2009-2010/2009p26.pdf[/url]”>http://oira.ua.edu/factbook/2009-2010/2009p26.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This must be where you got the data. That really is a nice improvement to see!</p>

<p>It looks like the 2014 class will be a good one! Alabama has it right by making the kids feel like (if not actually telling them) they WANT them. Made a big difference to my son.</p>

<p>I definitely think that UA made a strong effort to make me feel like I was wanted. And while there were other things that were more important in the decision-making process, it really did make a difference.</p>

<p>That definitely won us and son over, that Alabama WANTED him.</p>

<p>And the Class of 2014 is going to be AMAZING!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Uncle Bama Wants YOU! </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>^^^He really does.
Echoing any official statements, those of us already at the University of Alabama are very excited to meet and work with the Class of 2014. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thank you SEA_tide. You da ma-a-a-a-n!</p>

<p>Can I get a Roll Tide??!</p>

<p>Roll tide!!!</p>

<p>My D a OOS, NMF, only applied to 4 schools: Auburn, Bama, Baylor, and UTD. Baylor offered Presidential Scholarship, all the others offered free tuition + NM perks. This Spring she narrowed it down to Auburn or UA. After finalist weekend for CBHP, she decided she’d rather go to BAMA even if she wasn’t invited to be apart of the program. </p>

<p>ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>Glad that she picked Bama! What state are you from? Texas?</p>

<p>Bama has a lot of kids from Texas.</p>