Which schools have rush only in Spring

How many students who rush (whether in the 1st semester, 2nd semester (spring rush), or 3rd semester (sophomore status)) knew going into college that they planned to rush? Are there many people who are truly undecided? Or are they only undecided in terms of, if I haven’t found a good group of friends by the time of rush, then I’ll rush (or I’ll only rush their chapter if I’ve made friends with them)?

My daughter said she wouldn’t but did but I exiected it. Her sorority is very low key.

My son did an engineering one. Had no interest but mom pushed it as she was in it. It was a disaster. He left after a few months but had friendships with kids in it.

It had professional aspects. But also had drinking. And drinking. Glad he could separate from it.

2 Likes

My daughter was undecided and decided against rushing. My son was undecided leaning towards no and rushed his sophomore year. I think some kids really want to get a vibe for the reality of the social scene and how their particular university’s greek life actual operates.

1 Like

I think there are all kinds of scenarios. I never expected to do rush but after a transfer of schools thought it would be a good way to make friends (and it was). My daughters both signed up for rush before they started school (because of my experience) and they both pledged, one before classes started, one after school had been in session for a couple of weeks. The second one asked her friend to go through rush with her (that girl’s mother had just been killed by a car and she was very lonely); she loved it and became very involved in the house. Her mother had told me the daughter would NEVER consider joining a sorority but things changed drastically for her the summer before freshman year.

At a lot of schools (especially southern ones), rush is actually before the semester starts so the women get to school a week or so early; they pretty much have to know ahead of time. At others, rush is presented as an option at orientation people can sign up then. At Harvard, it is an off campus activity so no information is even given out until people arrive on campus. My niece was planning on rush but then went to a school where they do it in the spring. That gave her time to reconsider, but did participate and enjoyed her time in the house.

I think they would follow the classification the school gives. My nephew had 41 credits going into college, got to register with the others who had 41 credits (mostly sophomores) but he was considered a freshman for housing, advising, scholarships. I think the fraternities would have considered him a freshmen, if they cared.

1 Like

I believe it is much different at Vanderbilt now, I’ve had two family members recently attend and rush, but they did not experience a fall full of pre-rush activity.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.