Which science, Chem or Bio is more important for Engineering/CS/Math (not sure of focus but some STEM area)

For a prospective Engineering major (not 100% sure but leaning towards mechanical/maybe Aero) and possibly CS/Math, what AP Sciences should be taken?
I know AP Physics is important. But most kids at our HS take 2 AP Sciences (they take all of the ‘regular’ version of Physics, Chem and Bio and then take 2 AP versions).
Does it matter between Chem and Bio? I would think Chem is more important (in case there is an interest in Chem Eng or Materials Science but he hasn’t been exposed to Chem yet so who knows). But if there is not a big difference, as long as demonstrating rigor, then fitting in AP Bio is much easier at our school (the prerequisite Bio is taken in 9th so AP Bio is taken anytime after)
Also, one of these classes has to be taken outside of the high school (Community college or online) simply because there aren’t enough class slots at school- but I’ll post about those options after we sort out which science class to take!
Thank you so much.

Chemistry is more important. It’s required for some engineering programs. It doesn’t matter for computer science or math programs.

2 Likes

Chemistry in general. Biology was more important for me though (electrical engineer/biomed track and Math). I’m in aerospace and work in manned space flight so bio was big.

But for a general engineer AP Chem in HS

1 Like

Another vote for chem. 2 semesters of college chem is commonly required for most engineering majors.

1 Like

Chem. No question

1 Like

I’m confused. You say most kids take the regular versions of biology, chemistry, and physics and then take 2AP. Then you say that he hasn’t been exposed to chem yet. He can’t take AP chem until he takes regular chem. If he hasn’t take me regular chem yet, then why do you need to decide this now? What year is your son? Is your school asking you to plan things out way ahead of time?

Thanks - looks like Chem is the way to go. Because there aren’t enough class slots via the HS, kids take outside classes (jr college and online).
Our jr college requires two classes to equate to AP Chem (Elementary Chem is prerequisite and General Chem is the AP level). That would be two summers. Would taking just the first class, Elementary Chem be okay as a stand alone Chem class or do you think both classes are needed to show rigor for a prospective engineering or some type of STEM major?
The other option is to take an online HS Chem class (as long as it’s accredited, we can get it approved) then take the AP Chemistry at the high school. But does anyone have thoughts on how these online high school classes are viewed?
The issue with scheduling is just that kids can’t fit in all the prereqs and APs so at least one class has to be taken outside but kids do it in a combo of ways. I’m not sure how colleges will look upon the rigor or if they have a preference where or how it is taken? Not considering the credits counting in college as I hear some schools accept APs, state schools accept jr college credits, some don’t take anything, etc. Thanks!

Environmental science then Biology. Pretty much everything else stem

. Chem

Colleges really want to see lab sciences with actual labs. Covid shifted that for a year or so, but online is not the way to learn chemistry for HS Chem or AP.

I think you are getting beyond what schools really want to see. I have students who have been accepted at top 20 schools in recent years without all of this rushing and cajoling. Do not add stress and excess to this process for your child. Look at what your child’s school offers and have them take the most rigorous courses they can handle that fit into a normal schedule. The colleges genuinely understand some schools offer 9 AP classes and others have 22. No student can really take all 22.

Look for opportunities to explore careers in the summer and have jobs that build life skills. You do not need to fill them with courses just to get ahead.

2 Likes