Which UC for Computer Science?

Which of these UC schools is the best for Computer Science, in terms of the program and being able to get a job as a software engineer after graduating.

I applied for a computer science degree for all of these schools but on some schools, I got admitted as an undeclared or 2nd choice, so how hard would it be to get the major I want?

UCSD: Undeclared
UCI: Undeclared
UCSC: Computer Science
UCD: Computer Science (college of letters and science)
UCSB: Computer Engineering
-Rejected from UCB AND UCLA

I have been leaning towards choosing Davis, but I don’t know if it would be a right choice for Computer Science. I love the campus and I live 15 mins away from it, but I am afraid that I won’t be able to get any internships. I know San Diego is a great school, but I was accepted as an undeclared student and I don’t know the chance of me getting into computer science.

Thanks for your advice!

@Gumbymom I would also appreciate your input on this :slight_smile:

I have a sweet spot for UC Davis. Their CS program is top notch, Silicon Valley and the Bay Area is within 1- 1 1/2 hours so internships are readily available, commuting will save significant amount of money and if you love the campus, it sounds like a good fit.

Changing to CS at UCSD is now a lottery so you have take the screening courses, get a 3.3 GPA and then you are placed in the lottery so no guarantees.

UCSC and UCSB are also good options. UCSC along with Davis have the advantage since you have the direct admit into CS.

Changing from CSE to CS at UCSB still requires you to do the following:
Students who began as freshmen who plan to enter an engineering major or to change from one engineering major to another will be expected to complete at least 30 units at UCSB before petitioning for a change of major and usually must satisfy the prerequisites of the prospective major.
Students may petition to enter the Computer Science major when the following requirements are met:

A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0;
Satisfactory completion of Computer Science 16 and 24 with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher (first takes only);
Satisfactory completion of Math 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B and Computer Science 40 with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (first takes only)
The selection process is highly competitive and these milestones are minimum requirements for consideration, achieving them does not guarantee admission to the Computer Science major. Any petitions denied will be automatically considered a second time in the next quarter. Petitions denied a second time will not be reconsidered.

CS at all the UC’s will be academically challenging but they all have good programs. Pick the school the fits you academically/financially and socially. Employers will not care where you go for Undergrad, they will be more interested in the skills you can bring to the job.

Best of luck.

Thank you!!

Please post you GPA, and SAT etc. My son got in at UCI Comp Science and Eng. And he is waitlisted at UC -San Diego. He applied for comp sc eng at all schools .U C Irvine worked out. I think U C San Diego is rated higher and they have a 5 yr MS program (with no GRE)