Which UC school is the "best" for an aspiring med schooler?

So I know that the key to getting into a good med school is maintaining a high GPA in undergrad, and achieving a good MCAT score. I have heard that going to Berkeley or UCLA as a premed isn’t the best choice, since the competition at these schools is so tough and it’s hard to maintain a good GPA. (I would like to aim for a 3.85+; my expectations will probably go down drastically once I’m actually in college though haha.)

Which of the following UC’s do you think would be the best for premed? Best as in not incredibly difficult to maintain a good GPA, one with ample research opportunities, and of course, a fun school. If it makes a difference, I would like to go to med school at either UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Hopkins, or Perelman (Penn).

• UC Davis
  • UC Irvine (admitted to CHP)
  • UCSD
  • UC Berkeley
  • UCLA

These are the five UC’s I’m most interested in. Of course, this is all assuming that I will have these five choices to choose from, in which case I would already consider myself incredibly lucky. Anyway, please offer any input. Thanks :slight_smile:

You are quite right about the tough competitive environments in UCB/UCLA for premeds (I know first hand, through my own daughter!). So if you intend to have a 3.85+ then avoid them, unless you are ready to study day-and-night … and then only if you are lucky!
Now regarding your second question: Even if you have the best GPA/MCAD (doesn’t really matter how high!), there is no assurance to get admitted to any of those medical schools in California! You should be just happy to get admitted somewhere!

@uclaparent9 Thank you for the response! Between UCSD, UCD, and UCI CHP, is there one that particularly stands out? I think those three seem pretty similar…

I put UCSD in higher esteem for the biology/premed related studies and tougher to achieve/maintain a supper high GPA (needed for medical school). The other two are similar.

I believe if the student graduated from UCB, a little lower GPA can stll get the person into medical school. I know of a recent UCB graduate (National Merit in high school) with a 3.6 GPA and was admitted to UC Davis’ medical school and plus few others medical schools (not the very top tier ones). The person chose UC Davis. I don’t know what the person’s MCAT was, but I sure it was competitive. The point is that UCB is known to be very competitive and some medical schools might accept someone from UCB with a little lower GPA.

I went to UCSD 30+ years ago. GPA 3.9 (summa) while working 30 hours a week. Was offered early admission to UCSD, went to UCSF instead. Waitlisted at UCI, declined at UCLA. Go figure. Still involved in medical education. There is a lot of serendipity in med school admissions, as serious applicants all have frighteningly great CVs. The fundamental problem in California is that we have just a handful of public med schools and a population approaching 40 million. That is a function of poor policy decisions and odd fiscal priorities IMHO. Agree that getting into any med school is a win. Unfortunately, a private one will saddle you with a mountain of debt.

So, go with your plan and pray for the right path to open! Good luck, study hard. Any of the listed schools will do just fine. Pick the one that makes you feel good about being there.

I agree with PadreDeTres. I’ll add one more point: Your plans may change over the next four years, for all sorts of reasons. So it’s important to make choices with that in mind. Choose the college where you feel you will belong and where you feel you will have success. And also consider what other directions you might go in if you don’t go directly to med school after BA/BS, and make that part of your decision. Would you want to apply to PhD programs in molecular biology, or would you maybe consider nursing? Or would you maybe switch to econ/business? These kinds of considerations might change your choice of undergraduate institution.

Thanks for asking this question! I was also curious about this as well because I know how important the GPA can be if you want to apply to med school, and if it slips a lot, it’s not so good. From me, I live in the SD area and from hearing experiences about UCSD, it does offer good research opportunities if you meet the right people to work with and get support etc. But the workload and competition is extreme, what you would expect from UCLA and UCB as well.

Thank you all so much for the responses!

Update: I’ve been accepted to UC Davis and UCSD as well, so now I’m waiting mainly on Cal and LA. I’m leaning towards UCSD or UCI right now!

In the same context, how do people feel about UCSC? How do med/dental/pharmacy schools view applicants from a lower-tier UC?

Yo dawg I would recommend picking between UCSD or UCD. However I wouldn’t knock off UCLA and or UCB. Go visit these schools, and wherever you feel most comfortable at, go study there. Because in college there is more than just studying all day and night at. You wanna be a well rounded person too, so in which ever environment you feel will allow you to suceed at the most, you should go there. You never know you might be the one setting the curve at the school you choose to go to. For example say you dont like the environment at UC Davis, you prob wont do good there, somewhere where the competition isnt that cuthroat, whereas youd preform better at LA, where you wanna be at. Not going to a school because its too competitive is an awful reason, and I think you should just go to the school where you feel would be the best for you, academically and their living standards cuz you gotta live there for 4 years. All of the med schools that you just named are super competitive, and youll be competing against the best of the best. Might as well get used to doing that now. Btw sorry for some bad grammar, writing this in the car. Good Luck with your future endeavors.