Which UC's and Cal States can I get into?

<p>Hi. I am a junior (rising senior) in high school who has 3.9 weighted (3.7 unweighted), a score of 1950 on the SAT, and a 30 on the ACT. I took Honors Chemistry (only honors class in my school btw) and AP Euro History in my sophomore year. In my junior year, I took 3 AP classes (APLanguage, APUSH, and APCalculus). I had passed all if my AP exams. I am in my community service program at my school, co-leader of the chess club, an active member of the guitar club, a volunteer at a hospital and library, and on the varsity swim team. I have over 100 hours of volunteering and community service hours (Is this enough or shall I need more?) So again, with all of these above, which colleges in California can I get into?</p>

<p>Calculate your CSU/UC GPA using 10-11th grades along with up to 4 AP or Honor’s classes for extra Honors points, see link: <a href=“Cal State Apply | CSU”>Cal State Apply | CSU;
What is your intended major? How much can you and your family afford? Are you in-state?? Any particular area of California you are interested in?? Need more info to help.</p>

<p>If you have a 3.9 UC GPA along with your ACT score of 30, you can apply to UCR’s Guaranteed Admission Program, see link: <a href=“New Students | Apply | Undergraduate Admissions | UC Riverside”>https://vcsaweb.ucr.edu/gap/index.aspx&lt;/a&gt; This would give a safety but the deadline is approaching fast. UCR also gives a good amount of financial aid if you are high STATS and in-state.</p>

<p>Gumbymom, I want to major in computer engineering. I’m not sure about how much we can afford (yet). Yes I am instate and I would like near or in the SF Bay Area or Southern California. And thank you very much for the links.</p>

<p>If you are interested in Computer Engineering, here are some schools to check out:
Cal Poly SLO and Pomona, Cal State Long Beach, San Jose State, UCR/UCRM/UCSB/UCD. Your SAT/ACT and GPA are lower than average for UCLA/UCB so they would be considered reaches, but if you have enough money for the application fee, go ahead and apply. </p>

<p>I would say Cal Poly SLO is a reach as well. The Engineering majors are quite competitive and I know of many outstanding students, just like you, from my dd’s high school with higher statistics than yours that were not offered admission to their Engineering major. Computer Science, I understand is extremely competitive for admission. However, I do encourage you to apply; just don’t count it as a match or safety. Don’t discount Cal Poly SLO just because it is not a “UC.” I graduated from UCLA , albiet several decades ago, and must admit am more impressed with the undergradudate program at Cal Poly SLO. My dd will be in in her third year this fall and has enjoyed her experience. Very driven students and challenging, but also very supporting. Given the smaller class sizes, she has worked on many team projects and have honed on her public speaking skills. In addition, she was able to land quite a few summer internships and is working in LA this summer. The career fairs are well represented by the industry. I can go on and on, but just want to wish you the best in your quest and I am sure you will end up in the right college for you.</p>

<p>Thanks for suggestions. Since reach schools have been mentioned, I’m also wondering which would be my match and safety schools?</p>

<p>Community colleges in California offer a program called TAG I believe. It guarantees transfer admission to UC’s. If you want to go to a University right away, I’d say it honestly depends on your major and the school. For example, the Economics program at UCLA may be competitive but the Anthropology program may not be (I don’t know if that’s really true I’m just saying as an example). I know people who have gotten into UCLA with a 3.2 gpa and I know people with above a 4.0 who didn’t get in. So it varies. Also, UCBerkely and UCLA are the more competitive UC’s, so I can tell you right now judging by your AP’s and extracurriculars that u’ll for sure get into UCMerced and UCRiverside. Hard to say about the rest though. I must also add that your income and race are also taken into consideration (if you are Latino or Black it’s a plus). I don’t know much about Calstates but CSULA and CSUN are practically like CCs. They accept almost everyone.</p>

<p>^ A note on TAG: You can’t use it at Cal or UCLA. It looks like UCSD may not do it either (not positive on that one)? Link: <a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/guarantee/”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/guarantee/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>To give some perspective, when I applied (for fall 2012) I had very similar stats to yours, with a slightly higher GPA and fewer ECs, and got into UCD, UCSD, San Jose State, and San Diego State. I didn’t get into UCLA. Currently a rising junior at UCD. Don’t take that as assurance that you’ll have the same results, but hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea. Also note that I wasn’t applying under an impacted major.</p>

<p>You are a match for Cal Poly Pomona, and they have a very highly ranked engineering program, including computer engineering.</p>

<p>Ok I agree with what @Gumbymom‌ said. And I would also like to add that ucsd has an amazing computer science/engineering program.
Ucla/USB = reach
Ucsd = High match or really low reach
Uci/sb/sc/d = match/ low match
Merced and ucr are definite safeties.</p>

<p>I think you’d be pretty safe for UCR, which is getting a lot of outside funding for Engineering/Sciences, and which also tends to offer good financial aid, if affordability is a consideration. </p>

<p>@FilipinoG1234‌: Disregard the above comment regarding race. The UC’s cannot use race in their admission decisions but they can use low income.</p>