Whitinger Scholars?

<p>Anybody have experience with this program? Kiddo was invited to apply; she did, paperwork states kids will hear by 1/28 if they are selected to come to campus to compete. How is that notification made? Email? Phone call? Letter? If you competed or are a Whitinger Scholar, please give more information!</p>

<p>I know this is late… But I hope your DD got in! It’s a great opportunity for Business majors… Wish I would have known I wanted to do business going in!</p>

<p>Thanks, Kayleigh. She was invited to go to campus and compete (we were there in the lovely ice storm and subzero temps in Feb…and she had a walking cast on her sprained ankle…brrrrr…tell me that’s not the usual winter there!). She hasn’t heard anything more about whether she’s been selected as one of the 10 Scholars… As for mine? Musical Theatre is her major-to-be (not sure where she’ll end up next year…still making some decisions). I assume you’re a current Ball State Student? Would love to hear your opinions of the school, regardless of your major!</p>

<p>Any word on this? I too am interested in how they are contacted.</p>

<p>Bvv1993,</p>

<p>Kiddo received a phone call from the Dean of the Honors College last Monday evening, telling her she is a Whitinger Scholar (hooray!!!). She also received a lovely letter in the mail today, confirming her award and giving instructions on how to accept this generous scholarship.</p>

<p>D was offered a Whitinger 2 years ago. To provide a data point, she had a 4.0 unweighted GPA and about a 2100 SAT.</p>

<p>Hi, I wanted to ask the Moms that posted here what their experiences have been with the Whitinger Scholarship program. I have been sent the application this week and am looking to attend Ball State University in the Fall of 2013. I would appreciate any information or help you could give me regarding Ball State, the Honors Program there, and the Whitinger Scholars program.</p>

<p>sent you a message :-)</p>

<p>Please provide us with any feedback re: Honors and Whitinger Scholars if anyone can</p>

<p>Do you have specific questions about the process, the award, Honors College? D is a sophomore Whitinger Scholar and member of the Honors College…would be happy to help with questions you have.</p>

<p>mommafrog…S has been accepted in honors college for Fall 2013 and is a Whitinger finalist. I think I am most concerned re: the process and how your child has adapted to this. My S is studious and I have no doubts that he will succeed but I just want pointers</p>

<p>Congrats on being a Whitinger finalist to him. So I am assuming he was called to interview for the award? As you probably know, 10 of the finalists are chosen after application, interview and an impromptu writing exercise to receive a Whitinger Scholarship, which covers full tuition and fees, room and board for all 4 years of study at Ball State. (It’s a big deal.) If you son has received other awards, like the Presidential Scholarship, those are coordinated, so the awards never go above tuition/fees, room and board. (Basically, my daughter pays for books and incidentals.)</p>

<p>Whitinger Scholars attend a few events, the fall Brunch and some dinners through the year. They also meet to write thank you letters annually to the donors who make the generous award possible, but those are about the only requirements. There are many other opportunities for leadership, of course.</p>

<p>The year my d competed, they said they invited about 120 finalists to campus. For the interview, she said it was quite relaxed and fun. The writing exercise was also enjoyable (sorry – don’t know what the prompt was!). </p>

<p>As for the Honors College, it is a lovely thing. Kids are able to take sections of their core requirements at Honors Level. There are also several Colloquia each year on special topics. There is a LOT of reading in the Honors courses. Her biggest advice to the new honors kids this fall was: do NOT fall behind in your reading, and participate in the class and discussions.</p>

<p>Honors College students can opt to live in Dehority Hall, the honors dorm. My d has spent her first 2 years on campus in Dehority. </p>

<p>Good luck to your son in the interview process. Tell him to relax and have fun with it! If he is not selected for the Whitinger Scholarship, his application will be forwarded on to be looked at for other scholarships within the Honors College or specific to his proposed major.</p>

<p>Hope that helped. Any other questions, let me know!</p>

<p>Hi, We just got phone call about interview… Any tips? Any tips on writing part? She is nervous… Any help would be great :)</p>

Hi @mommafrog, my daughter has been asked to apply for Whitinger (we are sending her packet to BSU tomorrow) and I had some specific questions about the timing of Whitinger stuff and artistic acceptance (my D is also an aspiring MT major). She is auditioning for Ball State on Feb. 3 at Unifieds. Do you recall how long it took to receive an artistic acceptance or what part of February it was when she went to campus for the Whitinger interviews? I don’t want to figure out her transportation unless she gets artistic ‘yes,’ but I don’t know if the timing will work out. Still, an exciting opportunity!

Hi @mommafrog, I know this post has been inactive for quite a while, but I just received a call about my interview and didn’t know if you could give me some details on the whole process. What is the “spontaneous essay” that is required on campus? How long did it take for them to notify you after the interview about whether or not you were accepted?

My son just received the application for the Whitinger Scholarship. I read through this post but I am wondering if any info can be provided about the essay prompt and or interview?

My daughter was just invited to apply also. I have heard that about 100 honor students are invited to apply, I’m curious how many applicants get selected to go to the interview phase? And also, if anyone has been a finalist but didn’t get selected, did you receive any more scholarship for being a finalist? My D has already been offered the presidential scholarship but it won’t be enough since we are out of state. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

If you make it to the interview phase my daughter found the interview to be more of a conversation. You then have to do a writing prompt, essay in an hour. The prompts are known to be pretty crazy, think U-Chicago type prompts. Daughter loves Ball State and we are grateful to the Whitinger Foundation.