Whitworth University for Engineering?

Looking for feedback regarding Whitworth University. The student is looking at West Coast ABET accredited colleges for mechanical engineering and is likely to go on for a masters. Whitworth recently received their accreditation. Pros or cons appreciated!

Engineering is a general engineering major; the course requirements indicate an emphasis on mechanical and electrical engineering topics.

It also has a secondary admission process, though it is not obvious how difficult or competitive it is.

ABET accreditation is under the general engineering category.

https://amspub.abet.org/aps/name-search?searchType=institution&keyword=whitworth

1 Like

I would find out their career outcomes…not just that they are ABET. This includes internships. There’s other LACs with more established engineering programs, not to say this one isn’t solid.

They still offer a 3-2. While few probably use, a true engineering school typicall won’t.

If they’re going to grad school, it won’t matter - but one cannot assume someone at 18 is going to grad school. Interests change or they might decide to work or study something else later, like business.

Gonzaga is the stronger SLAC for engineering in Spokane. If it were my kid, he would consider Gonzaga but not Whitworth for engineering (I know a decent amount about Whitworth as my spouse nearly took a job there).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.