Who chose TCU over SMU, and why?

<p>I will transfer to one or the other. SMU does have a larger engineering program than TCU. They also have the graduate program I'd like... However, I'm very concerned about the elitist reputation I've heard SMU has. I am a down to earth, not rich, middle class minority. TCU seems to have strong school spirit as well. I don't see the same school spirit in Dallas for SMU. However, I used to live in Ft. Worth so I may be I haven't seen enough of Dallas to observe SMU spirit. I am not asking for someone to bash SMU, I want honest responses form those who considered both schools.</p>

<p>Where are you transferring from and if I can ask, why are you transferring out?</p>

<p>My son chose SMU over TCU. SMU was a perfect fit for him and they have an engineering school whereas TCU does not. SMU is also a much smaller school than TCU. Their class size ratio is also smaller. Both schools have rich, poor, etc. so we ignored all that and just found the school that fits him the best. Good luck!</p>

<p>NewJersey,TCU has an engineering program but it is small. Graduate options are very limited. I am going to the local community college (Tarrant County) and taking classes on-line through Columbia College. I plan to transfer to full time study once I exit the military. I am stationed in Ft. Worth now. I am looking forward to going to school full time instead of nickel and diming school when I can get the time to go to school. How long has your son been attending SMU?</p>

<p>He will be enrolling as a freshman this summer at SMU. Did you get my private message? </p>

<p>The size of SMU is a what my son is looking for. He used to go to a fairly large high school and when he moved to a smaller high school he became happier. I had no idea that a large school was not his cup of tea. He loves the attention he gets from his professors at the smaller school. He spends time with them during lunch and after school. Some of his classes are as small as 5 per class up to 18 per class. So he knew picking a smaller college was important to him. </p>

<p>Also, on the tour they said almost 100% of the engineers that graduated from SMU last year had jobs immediately upon graduation. That is impressive. </p>

<p>Also, we don’t know much about TCU’s engineering program other than what they offer. What did you mean by the graduate options are limited? </p>

<p>Good luck deciding where to go. I would suggest picking the school that fits you the best. Everyone is different.</p>