Who has decided to attend?

<p>Who has decided they will head to Portland in the fall to attend L&C? </p>

<p>DD2 will be going. From what I read online, the school has entering freshmen arrive early for orientation and parents are invited to be involved as well. We'll have to ship the items we got for her to the hotel in advance and pick up the last items like sheets when we get out there.</p>

<p>My d has decided to go to L & C, and she's very excited. I saw on the website (last year's orientation page) that you can ship boxes to yourself at the school in August. If the packages arrive before you do, volunteers will place them in your room for you. That saves you from having to send packages to your hotel.</p>

<p>Thanks for the hint Westcoaster. That should save some schlepping.</p>

<p>You can also use the Bed, Bath and Beyond pick-up service. Go to your local BB&B and scan in the code of all the items you want. When you get to Portland, go to the store there (about 10 miles from campus, I think) and pick up the stuff that you ordered. They will have it all packed and ready for you. It is very convenient.</p>

<p>Thanks for that hint, Shennie!</p>

<p>I agree. Thanks Shennie. It looks like the move in is getting easier. Now to work on finding local storage facilities for the summers... :)</p>

<p>That is a bit tougher. I think my son was able to store up to 3 boxes in the dorms over the summer. He stored his bedding, books, and some other things and was able to pack his other stuff to come home. However, he is a guy and they tend to be able to live on less stuff :)</p>

<p>My S will be going. We're fortunate in that we have relatives in the Portland and Seattle areas, so storing won't be a problem. FYI, they now have an Ikea in Portland, out by the airport, if you need any small furniture items.</p>

<p>I went to our local IKEA to see if they had the same program as BBB (buy local, pick up at a different location) but it seems from the web site that the stores may not stock the same items. I think we'll have to visit the IKEA when we get out there. Lots of very fun things to dress up dorm rooms. However, I would stay away from the bed linens since they seem to be in a european sizing. I don't know how that would work for a twin-long bed.</p>

<p>We'll be in Seattle the weekend before for a wedding, so we'll pick up most of the bedding and other items there. We'll likely hit IKEA and probably a storage container place in Portland, once we know what the room looks like. His brothers have stuff from college stored at my sister's place so we'll also sort through what they left. We might even find sheets that fit.</p>

<p>Don't buy too much! My daughter just completed her first year at Lewis and Clark, and my husband is in Portland right now getting her packed up to fly home. Fortunately, we have family locally so she can leave most of her stuff at their home over the summer. We have distinct roles in this family. I am the "purchaser and unwrapper", and my husband is the "packaging expert". One suggestion I do have is to ship books to school using USPS media mail. It's much less expensive--just takes longer, so allow some extra time.</p>

<p>Actually, I have been shipping stuff out to Portland from the midwest and have found FedEx ground to have the cheapest rates.</p>

<p>hey everyone, i'm a current student at lc (sophomore next year!). while buying stuff from BBB and ikea is a great idea, there is usually a fred meyer service during orientation that's designed especially for freshmen. the pioneer express shuttle takes students from campus to the nearby fred meyer. fred meyer is sort of like target in that it is both a grocery and home furnishing store. it has basically everything that a college kid could need at a cheap price. plus, fred meyer keeps the store open late during lc orientation specifically for new incoming students who need to get things like bedding, towels, lamps, schools supplies etc. i got the majority of my dorm stuff this way (and at a cheap price!)</p>

<p>just some advice. ikea is great too. some of the dorms do ikea runs early in the semester.</p>

<p>I thought I’d revive this thread.</p>

<p>We live locally. There is a Public Storage facility about 5 minutes from campus in Lake Oswego. You can look on their web site, publicstorage.com.</p>