Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

yes

Still haven’t had it, nor has my daughter with type 1 diabetes and other issues. We mask in stores, on public transportation, at concerts, and so on, but have loosened up with family and close friends. Daughter’s housemate has it currently and I visited anyway, since they live on different floors with different bathrooms, and I masked while outside my kid’s room. My kid has resumed dating, selectively, and I take an in person art class. We are not feeling anxious but being prudent while living life. I don’t want a cold either!

4 Likes

$5 billion Project Next Gen for development of nasal and pan-coronavirus vaccines and more therapeutics:

5 Likes

Alas, I started wheezing again. Dupixent (copay $1249.90 every two weeks) ordered, to be delivered tomorrow and administered at my pulmonologist’s office the first time. About to call the manufacturer to beg for a reduction in copay.

Oh no @oldmom4896. I hope it helps. What a long haul!

1 Like

I am sorry. Hope the medication works.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. Do you have a Medicare Part D plan? Regardless here’s the mfr pricing/assistance info. Pricing and Insurance | DUPIXENT¼ (dupilumab)

Is there a less expensive alternative to Dupixent that your doctor can prescribe that could work?

1 Like

Xolair, Nucala and Tezspire all have copay assistance available; of course you have to be approve for both the medication and the assistance.

1 Like

I officially applied for assistance. Paid for the Dupixent arriving tomorrow.

5 Likes

Get better! We are looking forward to seeing you in May!!

1 Like

H and I tested negative yesterday, after returning to hnl. We will test a few more times.

5 Likes

I injected my first dose yesterday. But still pretty wheezy. Also, alas, still talking like a frog. It doesn’t hurt at all but very annoying to myself, and bothersome to my psychotherapy clients. I have a telemedicine visit this afternoon with someone at my PCP’s office to see if they have anything to offer.

For those following along, lol, still waking up wheezing during the night. Pulmonologist agreed to a low-dose short course of Prednisone. Hopefully that will help.

I was persuaded by my PCP’s office to change my video appointment with one with her next Friday if I am still croaking. Which I am as of right now.

Will follow up with manufacturer of Dupixent on Monday about reduction in copay.

5 Likes

FDA will okay a second COVID booster for 65 and older plus immunocompromised : Shots - Health News : NPR says that “The Food and Drug Administration has decided to allow some people to get a second booster with one of the COVID-19 vaccines that have been updated to target the omicron variant” but has not announced it yet.

The targeted groups are those age 65 or older who last got vaccinated at least four months ago and immunocompromised people who last got vaccinated at least two months ago.

However, there is no mention of getting a vaccine targeted against the current XBB.1.5 and XBB.1.16 variants now circulating. The current bivalent vaccine targets the ancestral strain and last year’s BA.5 variant.

1 Like

It’s interesting to me that “we” are not hearing much about any booster updates. And I work in a health care setting. My last booster was in the fall when I got my flu shot. Will I be just making that a duo each year???

1 Like

The FDA has just approved a 2nd bivalent booster for the 65+ and immunocompromised. The CDC’s advisory committee will be meeting tomorrow, and it is expected that the CDC will sign off on this tomorrow.

Within the next few months, it will be decided which variants (subvariants?) will be targeted for the next booster iteration for the fall.

2 Likes

Here is today’s FDA announcement:
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-changes-simplify-use-bivalent-mrna-covid-19-vaccines

2 Likes

Three years after the start of the pandemic, some 16 million Americans have long COVID, meaning their symptoms continue well after the initial infection. An estimated 4 million people say long COVID has significantly reduced their ability to carry out day-to-day activities. For many of them, that includes their jobs. Economics Correspondent Paul Solman has the story.

My D was recommended to take dupixent for at least two months before evaluating if it was working. She was on it for a different condition, though, and injected every week instead of every two weeks.

I think she discontinued after almost three months.

My daughter goes college with a girl who is a very good runner and I was surprised to not be seeing her name this year during cross country and track season and was wondering what was up with her. The newspaper just ran an article about how she had to give up running after a bad case of covid and now dealing with long covid.