Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

I’ll send you a PM later today.

1 Like

Yes, the longer the better! I think CDC only recommends 90 days.

Ive been using Enovid, a nitric oxide spray msde in Israel. There are studies where its been used after someone has covid, and it was found to decrease viral load and shorten illness time. As far as I know, there have been no studies seeing if it works prophylacticly. However, one can extrapolate that if it works by killing viruses (all, not just covid) then it is likely to work preventatively. This also isn’t data, but I use it anytime I’m around a lot of people, both before and after exposure (eg eating in a restaurant) and (knock wood) I have not yet had covid.

Not a primary source, but a good explanation of how it works:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost.com/special-content/can-an-anti-viral-nasal-spray-stop-corona-and-other-viruses-726405/amp

4 Likes

We use Enovid too. We have never had covid and just returned from 2 weeks in Japan. The tour guides tested every other day—always negative!

I bought one box of enovid. Have tried it periodically (like when going on a flight). No idea if it really works or not.

Hmm, my friends are coming to see me from Israel next week. Maybe I will ask them to bring some.

1 Like

You can also buy it yourself, fyi, they ship to the US. Arrives in a week or less.

2 Likes

Thanks, but my friends arrive next Thursday! I messaged them.

Recent slides from the ACIP meeting:

Of note from the above:

• Bivalent booster uptake is low: 7.2% for 18-24, 11.8% for 25-49, 21.4% for 50-64, and 42.4% for 65+.
  • XBB.1.5 is the predominant variant, but XBB.1.16 and XBB.1.9.1 are increasing. BA.5, which is one of the variants the bivalent vaccine targets, is basically gone (although it is closer to current variants than the ancestral virus is).
  • FDA removed authorizations for many monovalent (ancestral virus) mRNA vaccines.
  • As a result, the number of Moderna products falls from 5 to 2, and the number of Pfizer products falls from 6 to 3, reducing the risk of erroneous dosing.
  • Many monovalent vaccine doses are already expired anyway.
  • Novavax and Janssen vaccine authorizations unchanged.
  • CDC estimates that, as of Q3 2022, only 3.6% have had neither infection nor vaccination, 26.1% had vaccine only, 22.6% had infection only, and 47.7% had both (hybrid immunity).
  • FDA authorized one bivalent mRNA vaccine dose for all age 6+ (Moderna) or 5+ (Pfizer).
  • In November-December 2022, seroprevalence for infection for K-12 school age children (age groups 5-11 and 12-17) was 93%.
  • FDA authorized 1, 2, or 3 doses of bivalent mRNA vaccine for age 6 months to 4 or 5 years.
3 Likes
1 Like

Well, I finally tested positive. I’m fully vaccinated, O-, and a pretty dedicated masker, though have relaxed that a little bit lately. I have tested SO many times, just to be safe, but never got the pink line until today. I was so surprised that I took another test. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

What a shock to see that pink line appear! May you have a mild and short case. Sympathies!

2 Likes

Ugh. And the worry would be ongoing. Get covid, recover, and worry for the next however many years.

2 Likes

Which of the pharmacies do you order from? I’d rather not pick one randomly. Thanks.

Seems like another type of potential “stealth long COVID”, where the risk of having the problem increases after COVID-19, but an individual case cannot definitely be determined to be caused or not caused by COVID-19.

It also means that, on a population scale, health care burdens and costs will increase over the long term.

1 Like

I order enovid from Reekooz.com. They give you a 10% discount if you sign up fo4 their newsletter and give quantity discount. Also free shipping if you order a certain # of bottles. I receive the bottles in Honolulu in a week or two. They always have an expiration date many months later.

I’ve ordered from IsraelPharm.

1 Like

And that would make it that much harder to get disability accommodations/payments, I would think. Already, women are at much higher risk than males. Nothing new for women to be dismissed by the medical field and research.

I said to my friend that in the future we may have to get used to a much lower level of productivity from all the disability that will result from a workforce that’s had covid19. People will be forced to continue working, but their productivity will go down.

Already, there is so much sickness always going around of one kind of another. Some say that’s because our immune systems weren’t challenged for “so long.” I wonder if it’s because covid19 has damaged immune systems to the point that they don’t work well against things that they used to.

But, hey, people are living their lives, and that is the important thing. Too bad if they draw the short end of the stick and end up with long covid, right?

I am pretty sure Rekooz and Israelpharm are the same company. IIRC, I emailed one to ask a question and got the reply from the other.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I am doing pretty well. I had a few nights of fitful sleep and I am still congested, but between resting, staying hydrated, ibuprofen, and the Paxlovid, I am feeling okay. Honestly, I think I was so nervous about getting Covid that the worry was worse than the virus for me. I debated about taking the Paxlovid, but took Dr. Osterholm’s advice and decided to do it.

4 Likes