Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

Covid finally hit our house. :slightly_frowning_face:

Husband & S24 traveled to Nashville last week. They masked (N95) on planes & in airports, but nowhere else they went (escape room, restaurants, theater). Got home Thursday night. H had sore throat Saturday, very sore throat & high fever yesterday. Negative Covid tests both those days, but positive this morning.

I really want everyone else to stay well. S24 has the SAT this Saturday; S23 has birthday & graduation activities. My mom (lives with us) has brain surgery in 10 days. :grimacing::grimacing:

I am hearing a lot more Covid cases now.

I think itā€™s because of all the Taylor Swift concerts. :wink: (just kidding! You know big, big crowds!!)

D2 was at the concert last night. Fingers crossed.
I went to a Springsteen and was fine.
Some of my friends are getting Covid from doing their daily business. I know a group of people who got Covid after a cruise. More people are calling in sick at work because of Covid.

Meta analysis of studies comparing protection against subsequent infection for those with prior infection (mostly pre-Omicron) to those without (unvaccinated only for both groups; no comparison to vaccination only or hybrid immunity analyzed here): https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(22)02465-5/fulltext

Overall, protection from prior infection appears to be similar to that of vaccination (probably better compared to only having the primary doses of a vaccine against the ancestral virus), including the significantly lower level of protection against reinfection or symptomatic disease for Omicron compared to previous variants. Protection against severe disease was high even for Omicron. It was also noted that some of the studies included found protection against Omicron reinfection or symptomatic disease to be higher than the above if the prior infection was Omicron.

I traveled by plane this weekend. I had connecting flights. Virtually no one wore a mask, except my spouse and I.

4 Likes

I made it to todayā€”first positive testā€” (symptoms started yesterday afternoon) and wish I had just worn a mask the past week! Oh well.

Iā€™ve had four vaccines: pfizer, pfizer, moderna, and omicron (pfizer) in November.

We wore well-fitted masks through Seatac this weekend. We were in the minority. Screw those who thought we were nuts. Took the masks off on the plane to drink our mimosas but did not put back on other than to go to the bathroom. Washed hands well though. People are definitely more lax about hygieneā€¦ few covered their sneezes at the airport. Yuck.

5 Likes

So thatā€™s why the CDC used pandemic emergency funds to corner the market on tickets! :wink:

1 Like

Itā€™s almost like thereā€™s a connection between that and Covid cases. Who woulda thunk it?

2 Likes

Just think about actual lives that would be saved if people took the simple measure of wearing a mask in crowded public places.

6 Likes

Actually wearing a protective mask correctly! I see so many folks wearing less protective masks and often under their noses & sometimes poorly fitting as well. Not surprised hereā€™s very little protection & surprise they get sick!

1 Like

The Covid emergency is over. Iā€™m a believer everyone should do whatā€™s comfortable for them. If you are comfortable wearing a mask forever, then do it. Most people have moved on. Iā€™m quite comfortable living my life just as I did pre-Covid.

3 Likes

I had COVID last month. My initial symptoms were headache, fever and cough. The cough went away a few days later but was replaced by diarrhea and a change in taste. My bout with Covid lasted 9 days, and I feel fortunate to have had a relatively mild case. The only lingering symptoms are my change in taste and an occasional headache.

Interesting that you say a ā€œchange in tasteā€ - not loss of taste. Can you describe??

I noticed a metallic taste when I drank beverages and food tasted saltier, but I didnā€™t lose my sense of taste.

2 Likes

Did you take paxlovid? Yesterday the doctor told me those were both possible side effects.

Btw H had positive at-home test Monday, I had positive in-office test yesterday. S23 has started coughing. :disappointed:

The doctor told me the XBB variant seems to not give a positive on home tests until around day 3 of symptoms, but the in-office can catch it earlier.

3 Likes

Actually, Iā€™m hoping some people (not attacking you personally) donā€™t return to their pre-Covid practices, because many people were pretty sloppy. I want people to stay home from work/school when they are sick. I want people to wash their hands regularly with soap. I want people to cover their mouths and noses when they sneeze or cough. I think more people were careful about these things when they were concerned about Covid, but I would like to see these practices continue in order to help prevent the spread of all kinds of illness. Like Bunsen Burner mentioned upthread, people are getting lax about some of this basic hygiene and courtesy now.

Oh, and to stay on topic: neither I nor my husband nor my kids have had Covid, to the best of our knowledge. I wear a mask on a crowded bus or airplane and in medical settings, but not at work or on errands.

8 Likes

We havenā€™t worn masks at all for months, but I think we will when we fly to Europe. Why not? I donā€™t want to get sick over there. I donā€™t consider that living in fear, but just smart precaution.

7 Likes

Making good health choices to stay healthier wearing a mask in crowded places and avoiding people who appear ill doesnā€™t sound like living in fear to me, sounds like understanding consequences of taking precautions. Thatā€™s how we are choosing to live, even when we are the only people wearing masksā€”thatā€™s fine with us. Iā€™ve loved being healthy for the past few years!

5 Likes