Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

I am not over 65, but I was able to get the second booster with no issue.

2 Likes

I and H are 65+. We each had 6 shots, including 2 bivalent Modernas. We mask with kf94 in crowds, have traveled to Denver, NYC and Japan and caught the subway daily in nyc and often in Japan. We have also attended theater performances. We dine at restaurants fairly often.

We use Enovid every day (I sometimes use it morning and night or at least at night. We have not had any colds at all since the 2019/2020, which is very rare for us.

3 Likes

Newly published paper attempts to define PASC / long COVID:

Table 2 gives scores for various symptoms found after recovery from the acute phase (e.g. smell/taste = 8, post-exertional malaise = 7, chronic cough = 4, brain fog = 3, etc.), with a score of 12 or higher indicating PASC / long COVID. Note that the symptoms are not exclusive to PASC / long COVID, so even with a threshold score of 12, a small percentage of people (3.7% overall) without infection get a false positive due to scoring at least 12 here.

Table 3 indicates that, using this definition of PASC / long COVID, the rate of such was lower for Omicron than pre-Omicron, lower for vaccinated versus unvaccinated, and higher for those infected more than once than for those infected once.

1 Like

This simple gesture will reduce the amount of covid circulating in restaurants and supermarkets. It will indeed save lives.

1 Like

We just boarded in SAN heading to EWR. Almost no one masking. We are, spurred on by my brother’s call yesterday that my niece has had COVID for 10 days and has to miss her brother’s wedding this weekend.

4 Likes

Airplane air circulation runs thru HEPA filters on nearly all US long-haul planes. Just open the air vent above your seat on full. (And take a sweater in case you get cold, but at least the air will be virus free.).

The biggest risk on planes is the queue bunching for boarding and deplaning, and of course, sitting in a crowded terminal.

5 Likes

My DD’s boyfriend got Covid for the second time after two vaccinations two weeks ago after very short plane flight. Of course DD got it from him four days later. That was a first time for her with two vaccinations as well.

or other health reasons.

Pharmacies don’t seem to mind selling you another booster, as long as you check whatever box they need to formally justify it.

Per example, if you’re taking medication against high blood pressure, statins, etc. you implicitly might be at a higher risk.

Even in the early rounds of vaccines, I don’t know of a single middle-aged adult (in our extended circle) who was unable to qualify if they wanted to.

Will get my third booster in mid-August, shortly before we leave for Europe and S2’s wedding in Ukraine. Will mask on the planes, trains and crowded places. I haven’t had it; H did a year ago. Evusheld saved the day for me, but is no longer effective against current mutations. Am 62, but on active chemo, so will qualify.

A friend got Covid last week. Got it at work at a health care facility. Glad it was well after a major event at our synagogue, because it could have been a super-spreader event with so many vulnerable members.

My lung doc got me an Rx of Paxlovid for me to take with me when we went to Japan, just in case I got sick. He also gave me an Rx for Tamiflu and Azithromycin. Maybe talk with your MD about whether you should travel with any/all of those meds and/or others. We also used Enovid often while traveling. We never got sick.

4 Likes

How do you get Enovid?

I’ve been ordering from here.

2 Likes

Well, we’re dropping like flies. :disappointed: We’ve been very good about isolating, masking, & ventilation since my husband’s positive (at-home) test Monday. But I think we had significant exposure before the test was positive. I had a positive test at urgent care Tuesday (and got Paxlovid). S23 has been sick since Wednesday AM and finally had a positive (at-home) test this morning — his birthday!

So far S24, S27 & (as far as we can tell) non-verbal younger son have no symptoms. But my mom woke up with a sore throat today and is going to get a test later at the urgent care.

We’re trying to do all the right things, but with 7 people in the house, including 2 who require intensive hands-on care, it is hard. This is why we’ve been extra careful for the past 3 years, but with teenagers it feels like there comes a point you’re doing them more harm than the benefit by being so restrictive. (Although I notice it was my husband who got sick on their “adventure trip” not S24. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: )

I buy from reekooz.com, which seems like a branch of the same company and offers volume discounts.

Not a huge surprise: most intra-household transmission began with a child index case:

“In a cohort study of 166 170 households with adults and children using smart thermometers, among 38 787 inferred household transmissions over 3 years, 70.4% had a pediatric index case. Rates dropped during school breaks.”

The reputation of children as disease vectors is consistent with this finding.

Healthier sleep is associated with lower risk of long COVID:

1 Like

Wow. Expensive. Is this the best price you’ve found?

Used to be you could purchase a smaller amount and get them for $45/p. It’s changed recently but II buy 6 at a time.

1 Like

If you buy 10 or more at a time with reekooz.com, you get their best price @$40/bottle. They used to give that price for just buying 3 bottles & free shipping.

1 Like

Fewer waking hours to get infected? :wink:

2 Likes