Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

I know you are half joking but that is one of my pet peeves, when a couple says “we are pregnant”
Only one person is pregnant, it’s not a we. Should say “WE are having a child, she is pregnant”

3 Likes

No, full-out joking!
It was my cynical/self-depricating way to state the same pet peeve as yours.

3 Likes

Not sure where this belongs…but interesting/concerning info

https://www.science.org/content/article/could-popular-covid-19-antiviral-supercharge-pandemic

1 Like

This drug was specifically designed to mutate the virus to the point it no longer could function. I’m not surprised.

This is not a new idea BTW. I believe something similar (“lethal mutagenesis”) was first proposed by a group of UW researchers that explored this mechanism for HIV treatment. Not sure if that work went anywhere…

that said, I’d stick with Paxlovid. It has been tested on my husband without any ill effects. :laughing:

8 Likes

The people I personally know who had Paxlovid all found it very positive at helping with prompt and full recovery. I will bring it whenever I travel out of country, to have on hand, along with some covid tests.

3 Likes

How easy was it to get a script for Paxlovid to take while traveling?

I’m recovering from my first bout with COVID. I actually don’t feel awful, so elected not to get paxlovid. My symptoms have not gotten any worse, and actually have improved.

I’ll be glad when this is all done!

7 Likes

Because my lung function is awful, my docs have been willing to prescribe me paxlovid for international travel. H is >80 years old and has asthma. His md won’t prescribe until he is positive for covid. My sis and bil (>65 years old) were able to get their mds to get them paxlovid for international travel, so it varies.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. It is still concerning to me that one of the treatments being given is apparently driving the problem it’s supposed to address.

Glad this type of info is becoming available - for those that seek :disguised_face:

If you are interested in this topic. One of the authors, Ray Schinazi is perhaps the biggest star of antiviral drug design.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abn0048

2 Likes

Regarding “Long COVID” :joy:

The Babylon Bee is a satire web site.

2 Likes

But I did my research!

1 Like

Yes I’m aware. :joy:

I have stage IV cancer, NED with brain radiation necrosis that wasn’t causing problems. Also an unrelated stable brain tumor. And a previous surgical stroke. So yeah, when I finally got Covid it traveled immediately to my brain and caused a major seizure. I was literally in a pharmacy picking up paxlavoid for my husband and didn’t realize I was positive. I was staying at a hotel trying to avoid it. I immediately got the IV drugs, no lingering Covid issues, but I get to be treated like I have a seizure disorder for two years. The drugs are really bad, very close to steroids, particularly when I was also taking steroids. The DMV made me wait 7 1/2 months to let me drive again. Not fun in LA with three kids.

2 Likes

That is a LOT! Glad no lingering Covid issues. My friend, who has just recovered (although with two visits to the ER with Covid-caused gastrointestinal issues) has a theory that Covid goes to one’s weak spots.

1 Like

I don’t think I have responded to this thread but I still have not ever tested positive for COVID. I have had strong exposure. Was in a closed up car for 4+ hours with my grown kids who caught it on a beach vacation before we realized they had it. One had mild symptoms (she got it first) and the other was sick as a dog and had a really bad headache in the car and felt lousy. I never felt very bad or tested positive myself. It was a couple of months after my husband and I got our boosters. He felt bad and thought for sure he was getting it, but never tested positive either and felt better the next day or two. I think the vaccines work for us.

4 Likes

We still haven’t tested postive either. But we have been pretty careful and aren’t in large groups of people very often. I’ve got a daughter with two little ones in school and they’ve dodged it too. But the one that amazes me is my nephew’s family. He worked with people from the beginning of the pandemic, his wife is a teacher and he has two young children in different schools. They test often and he had regular PCR tests for the first year and none of them have ever tested positive or had symptoms after a known exposure!

1 Like

Normally when I have any infection, it tries to go into my lungs. With Paxlovid as soon as I tested positive, I recovered promptly and I never had respiratory symptoms.

I was exhausted initially and for a few days after starting Paxlovid, but it could have been due to mom’s funeral and too many things scheduled.

2 Likes

I feel like I have observed a lot of this anecdotally. I’m sure COVID sped up my dad’s decline in terms of his dementia and loss of function. 5 months after he contracted it, he was gone.

1 Like