Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

Maybe they won the genetic lottery in getting genes that confer relative resistance to COVID-19 infection.

3 Likes

I also have never had COVID. I havenā€™t been sick at all since 2019 or earlier.

Poor D22 caught everything known to humankind as a freshman last year (two separate influenza A diagnoses a month apart despite being vaccinated and mono, among other things). She never tested positive for COVID although it could have been missed; I would be shocked if one of those ā€œcoldsā€ wasnā€™t COVID.

I rode in a car with her multiple times when she was ill and never caught anything. When she came home with mono at the end of the year, she had some cold-like symptoms and cough on top of it and passed that on to my spouse. Again, neither one of them ever tested positive for COVID (and D22 was tested many times during that period).

We have all been fully vaccinated and boosted. I am beginning to feel like one of the last players standing in a game of dodgeball.

4 Likes

My SILā€™s brother & parents have not had Covid. His brother is a doctor in a hospital setting, his dad is a college professor who teaches in person, and his mom works in retail & has traveled extensively, nationally and internationally, since the initial easing of travel restrictions. SIL got COVID last year, though ā€¦ and his family was all with our GD the day before she came down with it (she & D were the first exposed). I have heard that some people have a genetic luck when it comes to Covid, but it looks like SIL & GD missed out on those family genes.

1 Like

Surely, you must be a Kindergarten teacher by profession? :wink:

1 Like

This belongs in the political forum, not here.

1 Like

My new free tests from the government arrived today - printed expiration 7/23/2023. Extended to 2/24/2024 per the web site. They are now our ā€œuse firstā€ tests; the other dozen we have are either later extensions or printed dates into 2024. The government is cleaning out the closets!

Ha! If I were a kindergarten teacher, there is no WAY I would have avoided COVID this long!

3 Likes

I always thought Kindergarten teachers must have mutated with an unique immunity. I was constantly sick just from what one kid brought home - and they were around 20 of them buggers and never needed to take a day off.

I donā€™t count myself as sick unless I have symptoms. When I have symptoms, most the time theyā€™re not severe enough to see a doctor. When theyā€™re severe enough to see a doctor, I usually donā€™t see one because, for me, viruses are predictable, and chances are, I wonā€™t die from it, and itā€™ll just run itā€™s course. I havenā€™t died yetā€¦fingers crossed. Do I wear a mask? Nope. I just stay inside and eat chicken soup until my symptoms are gone.

Yeah, I think they said on the order site that this would probably be true and to check on line for latest expiration extensions.

Definitely rather have them clear them out to folks that might use them than actually expire in a storeroom somewhere! I figure those dates get us through most of the winter.

I had expected that because stories indicated that the government wanted to clear out the old emergency supply stock and replenish with new for future needs.

1 Like

Wrong thread.

1 Like

Like YLE the MRNA vaccines kick my butt, so Iā€™m thinking seriously of getting Novavax this time round.

Or - take it as confirmation that the MRNA vaccines are effective for you:

Got my Moderna yesterday. My butt is being kicked right now

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be so curious if you do, whether or not you react a lot differently. Iā€™ve had almost all Pfizer (including the latest 2 weeks ago ā€“ no real reaction). The one dose of Moderna I got last year laid me out for a day!

The vaccines have kicked my butt each time. Sickness sets in that night, lasts through the next day/night - then I wake up fine. However, Iā€™ve been dealing with an autoimmune flare up from my Hashimotoā€™s, so Iā€™ve put off vaccines until I get things under control. I hope itā€™s soon, because I do want to get both flu & COVID vaccines soon.

I had my first Pfizer (after all Moderna) and it still ended up with a low grade fever, chills, and a headache. The only difference for me was it hit sooner and was over quicker.

I had the first two moderna very early in 2021 (I had early access) where I felt terrible (no chills or fever though, just overall bad but with a few specific symptoms that made me nervous). Then a Pfizer almost a year later in December 2021 with no real reaction so I figured Pfizer was my golden ticket. But then I had a fourth of Pfizer (a year after that) and felt awful again. That one was only a few months after I had Covid though so possible I jumped the gun on that one. They do seem to work for me - I didnā€™t get Covid until October 2022 despite plenty of exposures including known close ones and I had a very mild case (really only felt bad one day though I tested positive for 10 plus days). But in general Iā€™m pretty resistant to sickness. My last shot was December 2022 so I do need to decide. Iā€™ve never had any reaction to any other vaccine.