Who is "black"?

<p>I'm wondering if anyone knows how biracial applicants fit into affirmative action- I saw a recent post on here about overall acceptance rates vs 'black' acceptance rates (along with other things over the years) and I'm wondering what that actually means. Would that be for people who just listed themselves as black, or people who listed themselves as black along with anything else? For example, I identify as biracial so I checked off both black and white- I don't want to rely on being a URM in the admissions process but I'm just curious, where does this leave me? How are biracial students counted for affirmative action and when it comes to diversity in general?</p>

<p>I think it was anyone who put black even if it was with something else.</p>

<p>If you put Black and you’re in America that trumps everything else.</p>

<p>Have you identified yourself as black for everything? Does your HS list you as black? Did you check black on the PSAT?</p>

<p>I think colleges have trouble with URMs who have not always been identified as such.</p>

<p>I don’t know how my HS lists me, but I am a National Achievement Semifinalist (which I also felt conflicted about because I just don’t know where I stand, but my parents pushed me to do it since it’s a chance for more money). I guess I’m wondering 2 things: how institutions would count biracial applicants (colleges for affirmative action and diversity stats and scholarships for black americans) and how people in general would consider biracial people when it comes to minority status.</p>

<p>why are there so many threads on this, often times by the same people?
If you have never in your life identified as black, regardless of your multiracial-ness, DO NOT CHECK BLACK. Simple.</p>

<p>^ I agree.
If you identify as black, THEN CHECK IT.
If you don’t, don’t.
It’s not that hard.</p>

<p>Seriously… You are biracial and it’s up to you to figure out what or who you are. No one can do that for you. It’s the curse of being biracial (maybe of the other races as well but I wouldn’t know about them ;D ). </p>

<p>I would say that NOT selecting it just because you are afraid it means you are relying on it is ridiculous and the idea that you shouldn’t because you may not have before and is therefore unethical is ludicrous…</p>

<p>Check it or don’t… It’s not rocket science…</p>

<p>ok you don’t have to be rude…i have never identified as purely black but i have always identified as biracial. it isn’t that hard to identify myself but it is when people expect me to choose one race or ask me if i’m part of one particular group. in that case, it actually isn’t that simple.</p>