Why are applications down?

<p>WISCONSIN</a> STATE JOURNAL</p>

<p>Apparently, about 1,000 less people applied than last year. This entire different is made up of in-state kids; applications actually went up from out of state. Why do you think this is?</p>

<p>Also, is Wisconsin losing its lead on Minnesota? Minnesota's applications went up 15% to 32,000! </p>

<p>Hopefully UW will cut its student body to maintain a low % acceptance number.</p>

<p>Interesting. Weren't they "Overwhelmed" by the amount of students that applied early action?</p>

<p>Tuition may have something to do with the discrepancy between University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota for out-of-state students...$29,500 (R/B/T) versus $21,900. $7500 per year is pretty compelling in a down economy. Also U of MN is in an urban center where students can chose to live at home, attend a Big 10 school, and save a lot of money. Twin City students that may have applied to Madison, may be applying closer to home.</p>

<p>U MN is pretty generous to good OOS students and gives out quite a few Gold National scholarships which bring tuition costs down to instate level. I'm sure the the decision by Minnesota to make OOS tuition only $4000 more a year than instate didn't hurt either. In fact, I think that OOS tuition at MN is still cheaper or about the same as instate at Illinois. Minnesota is hot this year with lots of kids at D's high school who want to go OOS, maybe even on par with Iowa and Indiana. Since UW is pretty tightfisted with OOS aid, the economy is making other places look more attractive.</p>

<p>I agree with all that Denquist said. Many students at our high school like UW, but U MN is looking much more attractive financially for OOS freshmen. U MN is HOT at our high school, as well.</p>

<p>I think instate kids who are borderline are not applying as much as the word is out that it is much tougher to get in than a few years ago.</p>

<p>"I think instate kids who are borderline are not applying as much as the word is out that it is much tougher to get in than a few years ago."</p>

<p>I agree. Back when I graduated in 2003, people from my high school were applying with under 3.0s! I can't imagine anyone doing that anymore...</p>

<p>I'm betting the Journal has it about right. There are fewer in state students and the fewer students know that admission is tough. And out of staters who won't qualify for aid like UW because its OOS tuition is lower than peers.</p>

<p>We wouldn't pay for Michigan, for example. </p>

<p>Rightly or wrongly, Minnesota is not considered a UW peer on the East Coast.</p>

<p>I disagree with the statement about cutting the student numbers to maintain an acceptance rate. The numbers accepted are to yield the largest class that can be accomodated at UW- too many and there is less chance of getting needed classes, too few and people who can benefit from a UW education are denied it. A low acceptance rate is not the driving force behind admission decisions.</p>

<p>^ Very good points, wis75!</p>

<p>I live in Wisconsin, and although I'd rather go to Madison than Twin Cities, it makes a lot more financial sense to go to Minn due to their scholarship generosity ($11k+, versus only a $2k+ valedictorian schollie for Wisc).</p>

<p>In 2003 when I graduated HS, I'm pretty sure that any Wisconsin valedictorian got a full ride at UW-Madison. I know the hmong girl that was valedictorian at my school did (although her mom wouldn't let her go to college).</p>