@Gumbymom

UC GPA: 4.08

weighted 10-12 gpa: 4.4

unweighted: 3.76

SAT: 1500

ECs: good essays etc.

major: computer science

does someone know plz help

CS is one of the most competitive majors at all the UC’s and your UC capped weighted GPA is below the averages although your SAT score is very competitive. UC admissions tend to be very GPA focused but they also look at your EC’s and essays, so it is not just about your stats. Every UC is looking for something different in their applicants and also if they “fit” into the campus.

A waitlist is not a rejection so opt into the waitlist if UCD is a top choice but move on and get excited about the other schools that have accepted you since you will need to SIR to another school before you hear from the waitlist.

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 12%
UCLA: 7%
UCSD: 33%
UCSB: 32%
UCD: 47%
UCI: 35%
UCSC: 72%
UCR: 87%
UCM: 96%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
UCB: 4.23 (4.15-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.32)
UCSD: 4.16 (4.03-4.28)
UCSB: 4.16 (4.04-4.28)
UCI: 4.13 (4.00-4.25)
UCD: 4.13 (4.00-4.26)
UCSC: 3.96 (3.76-4.16)
UCR: 3.90 (3.69-4.11)
UCM: 3.73 (3.45-4.00)

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540

UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
UCSC: 1200-1450
UCR: 1130-1400
UCM: 1020-1290

What are your other options and whom are you waiting to hear?

Best of luck.

i took 16 honors courses in grades 10-11 and my high school weighted is 4.4.

a 4.08 uc gpa isnt that bad

shouldnt i have at least gotten davis

my top choice is uci i live in irvine, so is this a bad sign

Based on the UC admit rate I posted which is the average, just based on GPA, your chances were 50/50. Each UC campus will review applicants based on their own criteria, so one decision from one UC campus will not predict your decisions at other campuses. Only UCD can tell you why you did not get in. CS is just so competitive at all schools there are no guarantees.

What kind of EC’s did you have? How were your essays? These are all important components of the application.

what do u think are my chances for irvine it’s by far my top choice i live right next to it

Just one opinion of a parent who monitors some of the UC threads, including this one, a 3.76/4.08 GPA appears to be low for a CS major at Davis. As you can see above with Gumbymom’s post, the average across the entire 2019 class at Davis was 4.13. And CS is probably the most competitive major.

but my SAT is high and grades are inflated and im in a competitive high school

4.08 isnt garbage

Look at the admit numbers for UCI. Lower than UCD for your capped weighted GPA and again below the average campus wide GPA for UCI. I would also say 50/50 chance since CS again is highly competitive at UCI but there is no way to say for sure. You will find out either way by the end of the month and hopefully you have a couple of safety schools on your list.

CS is a highly employable major so you do not need to attend a UC to do very well. An example of 1, but my younger son attended San Diego state as a CS major and post grad 2 years later is making more than Mom whom has been working in Healthcare for 35 years.

Remember where you go for Undergrad will not define you, it is what you do with opportunities you are given that will make you successful.

No offense but OP, you are acting entitled. As Gumbymom said, your chances were 50/50 for the MOST COMPETITIVE MAJOR. A college has the right to accept, waitlist, or deny you. Your SAT is barely above the middle 50%, it’s competitive, but it’s not safely in the top 25%. Your 4.08 isn’t awful, like you think others are saying (they’re not), it’s just low for a CS major. UCD had every right to waitlist you.

I got into UCSD undeclared, I’m not being entitled, it’s a matter of wanting to stay home and I was concerned about how a UC D waitlist affects uci chances…

Think before you speak and read everything I say…

@pofppl I did read every comment. And you deliberately ignored things that experts on the subject have said. You were acting entitled. You kept restating over and over how your GPA isn’t “garbage” even though nobody said that. Other posters were giving you legitimate reasons as to why you didn’t get accepted and you were ignoring them. And even after the questions of UCI was answered, you were defending yourself as if they had insulted you (they hadn’t). That’s entitlement.

Congratulations on UCSD just know that to change into CS at UCSD, you need to meet a GPA and Pre-Req requirement and then placed into a lottery. Check the link to verify for this year.

https://cse.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/cse-capped-admissions-program

Can we trade? My daughter got into Davis but not San Diego. It’s so far away, I wish she got into San Diego. I’m really struggling with the distance away, 6 hours.