Why having your kid skip a grade is a bad idea

For those of you considering accelerating your kid in school, I strongly encourage you not to. Parents who try to rush their kids may ultimately end up setting their kids behind. Unfortunately, my S/O and I fell into this very trap and we learned this lesson the hard way. Our son was born in the last week of December in 1998. Our state had a calendar cut-off, which meant we were allowed to send him to Kindergarten in 2003 at 4, which we did, putting him in the graduating class of 2016. Technically, we didn’t grade-skip him, but since most states wouldn’t have allowed him to start until 2004, we would have had to grade-skip him in order for him to be in the class of 2016. He was fine until he started college at 17. He had a much harder time adjusting to college than his older classmates, and as a result, dropped out after 1 semester. He enrolled at a community college the following fall, where we were hoping he would be able to transfer back to a university after 2 years. Unfortunately, he didn’t get great advisement while at community college, and ended up taking 3 years to transfer instead of 2. He’s now a 23-year-old senior, set to graduate this spring. However, if we had given him another year before Kindergarten, college would’ve probably gone smoothly for him and he probably would have graduated last spring. Trying to rush our son caused him to ultimately take longer to graduate from college.

2 Likes

Continuation of a previously closed thread.

Closing